Hello from Saskatchewan....

Hi, I'm Chantelle.
I am new to pools; completely clueless; have so many questions, even more after reading forums and the "getting started"; and I feel overwhelmed. I am looking for suggestions, advice, opinions, affirmation, anything really...
SO here is what I know.
My husband and I are on an acreage. We are looking to fill the pool from our well. Our well has a high iron content. I read something about a sequestrant (sp?) not sure what that is or where to get it.
I am looking at buying...
a Coleman Power Steel 16'x48" round AGP (5 145 gal)
an Intex 120v Sand filter pump and saltwater system (is this a SWG?)
a solar blanket cover
a TFTestkit (as compared on the forum)
some sort of water vacuum...

What else do I need?

Welcome to TFP! You are on the right track. It can be overwhelming at first but it is really not as complicated as it seems at first.

More info on metals in the water here : Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Yes, SWG is a saltwater chlorine generator. That is a good list. Also get a leaf rake and a pool floor brush. A vacuum is also good, but I don't know what to recommend.

You will need some bleach, plain, unscented, NOT easypour or splashless. You will also need pool salt and CYA aka conditioner aka Cyanuric Acid.

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here is the Water Balance for a saltwater pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Welcome to TFP!

To clarify: the pump and saltwater system is a salt water generator or do I need to purchase a separate SWG?
I'm a bit confused by this statement. I'll answer it this way...If the "pump and saltwater system" merely adds salt to the pool and nothing else, then this is not a SWG. A true SWG generates chlorine from the salt that is in the water.

A Salt Water Generator (SWG) simply processes/converts salt into Free Chlorine (FC) for those who do not want to reply on regular bleach, or like the programming features of an SWG. There's no rush to get one. You can go one season with just regular bleach as your sanitizer like many of us. Later you can really explore SWG options if you feel it's worth it based on effort, length of swimming season, etc. :)

There are many different sizes of SWG. And if you have the Intex pump/filter/saltwater combo ... that IS a SWG.

Maybe you should add a picture of what you have.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

There are many different sizes of SWG. And if you have the Intex pump/filter/saltwater combo ... that IS a SWG.

Maybe you should add a picture of what you have.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Sorry, I didn't create a signature because I was still doing my research into what I am doing and what I should be purchasing.
This is what the Intex filter/SW system description reads...
"With the Saltwater System’s copper ionization feature, highly active disinfectant ions are released, which attack algae more aggressively than chlorine or other packaged pool chemicals. The amount of natural chlorine generated by the saltwater system is reduced by approximately 60%, much less than other saltwater systems generate. The Saltwater System generates a pump flow rate of 1,500 gallons per hour. (7gram/hr)"
Is this output enough for my pool to keep it chlorinated or will it need more?
I am sorry, I feel like I do not understand anything I am reading. #NotTryingToBeObtuse

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah. Did you read the quote you posted?

There are many threads discussing the Intex copper bars (ionization system) that are part of some of their SWG systems. We highly do not recommend ever adding copper to your pool.

Yeah. Did you read the quote you posted?

There are many threads discussing the Intex copper bars (ionization system) that are part of some of their SWG systems. We highly do not recommend ever adding copper to your pool.

Yes, I read my quote. As I mentioned in my initial post, I am completely clueless. While reading copper ionization, it makes no sense to me (or rather seems like a marketing gimmick) and I had no idea it had copper bars or put copper into the pool. I will search for the thread and hope it tells me how to remove them.