Digital Nano Help

Oct 29, 2011
Hello all. I have a Pool Pilot Digital Nano setup on it's 4th season. I've been careful with water chemistry the since new, but this year has been a chore with all the rain we've gotten. I have the water balanced well now with the exception of the chlorine level. Free chlorine remains low and combined/total is even lower - near 'locked' is what my pools store says.

The Nano cell has been cleaned and there does not appear to be any issues with the flow switch. No warnings are on the Nano. When cleaning the cell with a mixture of acid and water, I notice the fins are not caked with anything, but are a dark gray in color.

With the water at 84 degrees and the Nano set for 50%, I read 1v and 5 amps on the self test.

Unplugging the power to the Nano, waiting 30 seconds, plugging back in and immediately going to Boost I get 17v and 5 amps on the self test.

Why am I at 1v at 50%? Is this normal?

Thanks for any insight.

EDIT: the pump is running 24/7 at this point.

I can not help with the nano but your pool store? What does LOCKED mean?

Are you testing your own water? If not, you should highly consider doing so and stop buying the pool store slore.

I am testing my own water. Both my test kit and the pools store have the same readings. My understanding is that Free and Total chlorine should be roughly the same. Mine are not. PH, Alkalinity and hardness all test ok.

My readings:
Free chlorine: 1 ppm
Total chlorine: 0.3

I found the issue with my Nano. I pulled the cover off, and with a meter across the Cell output I measured an actual 2v on the boost setting. I tapped the relay that cycles power to the cell and the voltage jumped to 14v. So - bad/corroded relay contacts are the issue.

I pulled it all apart, de-soldered and pulled the relay and applied 12v to the coil. It works, but the contacts (ohms) are all over the place. So I've ordered a replacement relay from Digi-key ($5.00) and will see what happens when I replace it! The relay part number is RT424012F if anyone else has the same issue and they are out of warranty.

I found the issue with my Nano. I pulled the cover off, and with a meter across the Cell output I measured an actual 2v on the boost setting. I tapped the relay that cycles power to the cell and the voltage jumped to 14v. So - bad/corroded relay contacts are the issue.

I pulled it all apart, de-soldered and pulled the relay and applied 12v to the coil. It works, but the contacts (ohms) are all over the place. So I've ordered a replacement relay from Digi-key ($5.00) and will see what happens when I replace it! The relay part number is RT424012F if anyone else has the same issue and they are out of warranty.

That is awesome, saved some big bucks on getting a new 1... I am calling you if mine dies :)

I'll take some pics when I install the new relay. I'm wondering if subsequent boards have a beefier relay. The one in mine has a contact rating of 8 amps. As the unit could potentially cycle every 15 minutes at 5 amps that seems awfully close to rating...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.