Valve Replacement Advice

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
The great people who built my pool put the plumbing so close together that not only can't I use Jandy NeverLube valves, but I can't even change the plumbing to make it possible. Each 2" line is within an inch of the other so that I can't use elbows to make space for the valves.

The Jandy valves are 6.5" wide, but my current valves from 1980 are 5 3/16". Does anyone have any recommendations for decent valves that will fit in that space?

EDIT - I've checked the Pentair and Hayward valves and it looks like they're all 6" or larger, which isn't going to work.

This is what I'm dealing with plumbing-wise:
dWpxWki.jpg

The original valves are Pentair Ortega P60305:
H5ywZmq.jpg

Looks like I may have to rebuild these valves as I can't find anything that will fit.

Basically to replace the valve, the only way to install a Jandy valve is to cut off all 3 pipes down lower, then rebuild up with couplings on the two lines from the left and then 2 45's on the last pipe which will give you extra space to the right of the 3way Jandy. Does that make sense? It's pool plumbing 201 though. Or, parts are available to rebuild your Ortega valves.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Basically to replace the valve, the only way to install a Jandy valve is to cut off all 3 pipes down lower, then rebuild up with couplings on the two lines from the left and then 2 45's on the last pipe which will give you extra space to the right of the 3way Jandy. Does that make sense? It's pool plumbing 201 though. Or, parts are available to rebuild your Ortega valves.

The center pipe would need to be shifted at least 11/16" to the right also, since it is too close to the left pipe. I suppose I could do two 45's on the center and 4 on the right (less head than a 90 and two 45's). That sure might look weird.

There is VERY little savings in using 2 45s in place of 1 90 fitting.

You could certainly shift the the center pipe over with a couple 45s and shift the right pipe over even further, with a pair of 45s starting lower or just use a couple 90s ... will not add much head loss.

I thought i had seen a 3 way tight fit valve somewhere on line a while back. Google it and you might get lucky.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.