Going on Vacation Early July 2015 and need feedback.1

Jul 19, 2014
Yucaipa, CA
Hi my fellow pool owners!

First of all - I have been using TFP methods for almost a year and, for the most part, am happy with the methods. It's fairly easy, less expensive, and we know what to do when there's an issue which has been less frequent for sure. Every one is so helpful! My problems have been bleaching of my pool liner, but perhaps my husband isn't adding chlorine/bleach, and we have a hole in our 4 year old liner...not sure what caused it or if using TFP has an effect....just possibilities. BUT that can be a future subject.

First, here were this morning's readings:

FC 4.0
CC .5
TC 4.5

CH 300

TA 120

CYA 40

Ph 7.5

Obviously I added chlorine. Although my range should be 3-5 I am targeting 8 as I am burning a lot of chlorine right now and had got down to 3 even with a 7 target - its been 100 degrees plus here lately!

So, when I go on vacation since the TA and Ph keep gradually increasing, I would assume I need to target a 7.2 ph correct?

Then, target chlorine for a shock level correct?

I also can program the pump to go 1 1/2 hours per day, which is what the pool seems to need now.

So my major question is how to get the chlorine in as I will be gone anywhere from 8-11 days. The individual that put our liner in said we should never use tabs as they could drop and put a whole in the liner - but that seems to be corrected by using a liquid chlorine dispenser which we don't have time to buy or install. So my husband was thinkiing of using a chlorinator and tabs to get by the 8-11 days - maybe 3 tabs? Then just hope for the best and put the pump on a timer for 1 1/2 hours which seems to be working correct He even mentioned putting cheesecloth under the tabs so they don't drop and put a hole in our liner.

Thoughts - good plan? bad plan? Suggestions?

Thanks so much - we love this forum!

Warm Regards,

Kellie

Hi Kellie! Do you have a solar cover? If so, I would go ahead and SLAM the pool, add a nice dose of PolyQuat and then cover it and call it a week and a half and not worry about it til you get back. If there are any issues, you can deal with them when you get back.

Yes to lowering your PH to 7.2 before you leave. And yes to raising FC to shock level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

I don't know about polyquat and solar covers. I also don't know about a trichlor puck putting a hole in a vinyl liner. Seems like it would be fine to stick some pucks in a floater.

In my pool, if I put my solar cover on with shock level FC, It eats the cover.mi have one of those blue ones with the bubbles. I am not sure if anyone else has this problem or not. Summer days in New Mexico hit high 90's and sometimes 100. The most I ever get out of a solar cover is 2 years, but it won't even last the season if I use it when shocking.
i just started using TFP method this year though. Time will tell if that makes the cover last longer or not.

One day at shock FC level is equivalent in active chlorine to 10 days at the minimum FC level. This assumes the chlorine is well mixed in the pool. If you add chlorine just lifting up a corner of the cover, then the concentrated chlorine will be much higher in FC near the area where you pour. It's probably a good idea to leave the cover off when SLAMing the pool. Usually you don't need to SLAM the pool very often and can go seasons without neding to SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.