Skimmer basket stuck

Jun 11, 2007
NorCal
I'm in the middle of an algae clean up and have been using a skimmer sock to filter out the extra algae and debris. The pressure from the sock caused my first basket to break. No big deal, I figured there was a lot of Crud in my pool and that created extra weight on the basket. I picked up a new one yesterday (which was the correct size) and put it in. This morning, I changed the sock and was going about raking my pool when I heard the pump make a different sound. I checked the pump and it had lost a lot of pressure. So I checked the basket: the sock had fallen into the bottom of the basket and now the basket is jammed and I can't remove it.

I've turned off the filter for now, but I need to get it up and running. Any suggestions for how I can get it out? Should I stop using the sock even though it has saved my filters from having to be changed as often?

If you use a skimmer sock while you are fighting algae you need to keep a really close eye on it. A sock tends to clog too quickly, as you have seen. Generally when fighting algae you want to move as much water through the filter as possible, which means no sock and cleaning the filter frequently.

Generally if you turn off the pump, clean out the leaves etc as much as you can, and try to grab it with both hands you can twist it or rock it lose. I have been able to get a really stuck basket out by threading some coat hanger through it and pulling on that. For me pulling in a twisting motion, instead of straight up, helped. There is some risk of breaking the basket that way, if it isn't broken already. Worst case you can smash it and pull out the pieces.

I was expecting tons of gunk in the sock and that wasn't the case. I guess I didn't have it on securely enough. I'll try twisting it to get it out. Worst comes to worst, Mr. Algaeh8er will have to get out of bed and do it himself!

Thanks!

Ok. Got the basket dislodged and it wasn't damaged too badly. A little bent, but got it mostly reshaped. I didn't add the sock since I wasn't going to be home. I'm fully expecting to come home to a filter that needs to be changed, which is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.