Back yard renovation/new pool house construction

docxo

Jun 10, 2011
Carbondale, Illinois
We live in Southern Illinois and have been in our home for 5 years now. The home was built around 1978 and had an existing in ground pool and shed.

View attachment 39053View attachment 39054

What started as a desire for an outdoor kitchen and bathroom ballooned into a design for a full heated and cooled enclosed "house" minus a bedroom as city regulations would not permit that and honestly we didn't need it anyway. We did want a space that we could use year round for parties and entertaining.

We hired Philip Durham of Studio Durham Architects, St. Louis, to design our project. We chose him for his super slick and modern design style. Our builder has been fantastic but of course, behind schedule. My hope was to have it done by Memorial Day, but that dream is long gone. Things were going swimmingly until we tried to open the pool. The electric wiring to the deep end light got ripped out during demo and the auto vac line had a large leak that required cutting in to the existing deck. I also decided that after the roof was installed and looked bluish, that the paint colors would never work, so they're still working on repainting the entire thing (oops!). Anyway, here are some photos of the project so far.

View attachment 39055

f39fb5ad11423971be90fcaecbebd8d6.jpg

c639523b8dab5c9d70555a25f5efc3ae.jpg

beb63e5a0d6509afd55b50ea54750bb9.jpg

Brazilian quartzite for countertops and backsplash.
f2c65beff3ea44334c981e5c7fdf5906.jpg

9e420ebc66a8ac3acfc370530acf6d6d.jpg

7794e64b5480ddabb487a8628be0f6f1.jpg

2e376ea1561cb4edf8c322c9efa23b1f.jpg

0bce3e8f4b40125efdc88bb895620a1f.jpg

Brown is old color, all wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So much left to do: finish painting the exterior, build the trellis to connect the storage building to the main building, pour the rest of the concrete, stain the existing pool deck to match, install the kitchen and bathroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is going to be great! Take it one project at a time, and remember to breath.

The rock you chose for your counter tops is amazing! The fireplace is awesome, and the wood beams gorgeous. What a space you will have when it is all done. Can't wait to see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great project! Like the orange daylilies too. Kind of reminds
me of the Property Brother's pool build at their family complex - less the slide.

That is looking Awesome! Thanks for the update! I really like the way the pergola was done, to wrap around the pool house. Is it called a pergola even? I also really like the contrast of the black posts / wood top / white pool house, it is really sharp looking!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.