OTO test kit help

Hello, hoping someone can help me out...I have a Waterpik Technologies test kit that tests chlorine and pH with OTO and the Phenol drops. Problem is I can't find the instructions for how many drops and can't seem to find it online anywhere. I've seen 5 drops a lot but my sample container is very small compared to other kits I've seen. Is there a ratio of OTO drops to water sample size? I'm trying to find a better test kit but my options are limited where I am and will need to order online, since I won't be using the pool store after finding this site!!! Was complaining to my neighbour i couldn't get alkalinity plus anywhere in town and then found this website and fixed the problem with baking soda :)
Second year with the pool and have no significant issues that I could see....I would like to be able to more accurately test my chlorine levels properly (without going to the pool store for analysis and then feeling like I HAVE to buy what they recommend!) in case something is going on that I can't see.
Would appreciate any help I can get with the OTO radio till I can get a better test kit

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Most all kits are 5 drops that I am aware of. But, actually it does not matter. You can use more or less drops and the color will be the same, although the saturation will be different. I know that is true for the pH and pretty sure it is true for the OTO.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Most all kits are 5 drops that I am aware of. But, actually it does not matter. You can use more or less drops and the color will be the same, although the saturation will be different. I know that is true for the pH and pretty sure it is true for the OTO.

I don't understand. The OTO test is all about saturation, not color. Between 0.5 and 5 ppm the color is the same but saturation increases with higher chlorine level. I think the number of drops does matter.

[URL=http://s1240.photobucket.com/user/epro05/media/OTO%20Test_zpschfny2pc.jpg.html][/URL]

I don't understand. The OTO test is all about saturation, not color. Between 0.5 and 5 ppm the color is the same but saturation increases with higher chlorine level. I think the number of drops does matter.

I have the same issue - bought a house and this test kit was included with the hot tub, but no instructions, and searching for "Waterpik" online brings up dental accessories. I know the number of drops is directly relevant, would love to figure out how many are needed for this kit.

Shades of yellow are some of the hardest for the human eye to see, but with the OTO test like the pH test you are looking for color shift, you will note that at 5 ppm the OTO test will appear much more amber than it does at 2 or 3 ppm, and if you go even higher than the test block reads you will see school bus yellow, safety yellow, and eventually burnt orange.

I have the OTO test kit supplied with the TF-100.

Tested the TC and the PH with 5 drops per instructions.
Also tested with pool water level at the 1st mark and 1 drop and get the same results as with the 5 drops and the 5th + mark.

This can save reagents but those are inexpensive and widely available so not worth doing that way as it is harder to see the color as it isn't aligned with the 1st mark.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.