Recomendation requested on pool pump

keithw

Mar 30, 2007
Virginia Beach
I have a 6000Gal fiberglass in-ground pool. Right now I have a generic 1 1/2HP pump combined with a Hayward 18" sand filter. I have a skimmer, two bottom supplies and three returns one of which a Polaris 360 runs off. I can control the flow to each return.

My pump appears to going. The main seal is starting to leak. Since it is 4-5 years old, I was considering getting a new pump.

I like to run the filter 6 hrs / day in the summer spread out throughout the day.

Any suggestions on a brand and HP of a pump suitable for my pool?

If the pump is only 4 or 5 years old, it is probably worth having fixed. Replacing a seal is not all that difficult. You should be able to have it done for less than the cost of a new pump and if you are handy you could probably do it yourself for far less than the cost of a new pump.

If you do replace the pump, I suggest getting a much smaller pump. 1 1/2 HP is large for a 6,000 gallon pool. A 3/4 HP full rated pump should be plenty. The big question when replacing a pump is how much do you want to invest up front to save electricity? A single speed pump uses the most electricity and costs the least, a variable speed pump uses the least amount of electricity and costs the most, and a two speed pump is somewhere in between There are lots of good pumps out there. I am particuarly fond of the Pentair WhisperFlo series, or the IntelliFlo for variable speed.

If you are handy, the main seal is pretty easy to replace, and they're cheap. I paid $11 for mine. Just pay VERY close attention to the way the old seal is installed before you remove it and compare it to the new seal. One end of the seal is ceramic and that end MUST go towards the impeller or you'll still have a leak. :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.