CC Help!

Thump4863

May 13, 2014
Oklahoma City
Ok I did a Jacks Magic treatment in late April/May. It says you will get false FC readings for about a month. Well I've reached that point. I've been seeing high CC levels and decided to SLAM the pool today.

Levels before:
FC- .5
CC - 8
pH - 7.8
TA - 120
Cya - 50

I raised my FC up to slam level and just checked it after 2 hours. FC is 22, but CC is 21 now. Is this normal? Pool is perfectly clear.

Do you have ammonia in the pool? Maybe you should check for it.

It could be ammonia.

Go to a fish store and buy an ammonia test and see if that's what it is. When CC is that high, it's usually ammonia and you'll need a lot of bleach to get rid of it.

Ammonia test came back 0. I checked it 3 times from three locations. Is it possible I'm still getting false readings from the jacks magic treatment?

The treatment said you get false FC readings for up to a month so to use TC readings. I started the treatment at the end of April.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone have any thoughts? Should I keep shocking? I stopped yesterday, but an email from Jack's Magic made me 2nd guess. He said you could actually raise CC if you don't hit a high enough shock level. Thoughts??
Those are some crazy CC #'s! Are you positive you are not confused with TC somehow?

Which test kit are you using to get these readings?

Edit: Did you ask Jack's Magic how high you would need your FC to break this cycle?

Dom

In using a Taylor K2006 FAS DPD test. I'm positive that I'm doing it right and not getting it confused. One Big Dipper and add regent for FC. Add 5 drops of the other and then drops to calculate CC.

I didn't ask Jacks that. He just said my numbers seemed legit and there didn't sound like a false reading that they normally get.

If you didn't experience an unusual CYA drop, and usually that also would require the FC to get to near zero at some point, then I don't think this is ammonia. Also, with ammonia, you would not be able to hold FC at all -- it would go away in less than 10 minutes (within a minute or two) after adding chlorine. Instead, this sounds like test interference from the Jack's Magic in spite of their saying it's not like the false reading they normally get. Did you let Jack's know that you were significantly elevating the chlorine level? They usually deal with people keeping the FC at 10 ppm or less.

CYA hasn't dropped since I added it for the season, and has been a constant 50. I talked myself into thinking it was the false reading and to go with TC. Yesterday after full sun both numbers dropped significantly together but CC is still the high number. There is no smell, pool is crystal clear, and ammonia test came back as zero. I just don't want to think its ok and kill my kids by swimming in something they may not need to!

Edit: Yes I did tell him how much I added. I gave home 4 or 5 different readings as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.