Please help me decide

DFWguy

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2015
keller
I've read all the threads I could and decided to start a new one.

I am going to have three 3' sheer descents and 3 color cascade bubblers, 2 LED Pentair pool lights, Pentair filter and Intelliflo pump. I want to be able to run the water features independently of each other or not at all; I could change the flow manually of course but the convenience of automation is attractive. First pool so I have nothing to compare to. I really like the added features the Autopilot SWG have VS the competition. What would you do if you were me?

A) Call me old fashioned. Auto Pilot Digi Nano Plus SWG on a timer synced with the internal timer on the intelliflo and the Pentair Intellibrite Controller to control the light show.

B) EasyTouch PL4 with screenlogic build in ($699 @sunplay). Autopilot digi nano plus SWG on a timer synced with intelliflo

C) All Pentair. EasyTouch System 4PSC-IC40 ($1126) + Screenlogic bundle and ditch the Autopilot for simplicity

Someone will be along shortly to help you spend your money. :mrgreen:

If you decide on simplicity like A, then you need to go with a bigger SWG. the AP nano plus only goes up to 28K gallons, and will have to work hard on a 17K gallon pool. The end result is shorter salt cell life. A system rated for 40K would be a much better choice for not much more upfront outlay cost.

Personally, Im an A kind of guy, with simple timers. Automation is nice, but when it goes wonky, it can be a nightmare. And expensive.

If you like C - automation and decide to go with that, it would be much better to have all of your components the same brand for simple integration and communication. If there is a subject that tfp is lacking, its help with automation.

I vote for C.

I have the simplest of pools, no spa and just one water fall wall. I love the fact that I can push a single button and have a valve turn on the water fall and have the pump increase speed to just the right flow to make the water fall work the way I want. It is true that I could manually turn the valve and manually speed the pump up, so I don't "need" automation, but I "want" automation. It is one of the things that make my pool fun for me. When you look at the overall cost of a pool, adding automation only increase the cost by a pretty small percentage. I too like the idea of staying with one manufacturer for ease of communication.

I would decide exactly how you want each feature to work and then make sure the plumbing supports what you want, and that whatever automation you get will support how you want to control them. I have an EasyTouch4 and I'm not sure it has enough relays and valve outputs to support all the features you have. I suggest you write down exactly how you expect to use each feature and then decide what system you will need. A simple example.. do you want to control each pool light independently or not? Etc.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.