In the middle of install and need help re: sand and foam!

meganv

Jul 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
We have leveled and compacted our pool base, including pavers for the legs. Now my husband wants to put a thin layer of sand because he is concerned the tarp and foam boards will not provide enough protection from the road base.

Could we put sand over the pavers as long as we made sure the legs rest in the right spots?

Also, it looks like no store near us carries the extruded foam boards. Will the rigid foam boards work?

It's best to keep the sand off the pavers. I'm not very familiar with the rigid foam boards so I can't answer.

You can add a layer of sand in the perimeter of the pool itself but I'd not put sand on top of the pavers.

Yes, you are on the right track Megan. :cool:

And thank you. I just got my laptop back up and running. It's so much easier than that phone I've been using.

Latin,

We had our old pool up with no foam or sand, and didn't like the feel under the feet. With your addition of sand, you may not even need the foam. We are doing a thin layer of sand as when we compacted our road base, there were some spots were the gravel in the road base still feels rough under foot. To make sure we have a smooth bottom, we are doing the thin layer of sand, then the foam.

Latin,

We had our old pool up with no foam or sand, and didn't like the feel under the feet. With your addition of sand, you may not even need the foam. We are doing a thin layer of sand as when we compacted our road base, there were some spots were the gravel in the road base still feels rough under foot. To make sure we have a smooth bottom, we are doing the thin layer of sand, then the foam.

thank you, what I did before was to setup the pool without leveling on 1/4 minus rocks. It was so out of level. So I drained the pool and a landscaper level the rocks, level sand and place 12x12 pavers for each post.

Is it ok if the sand is a little higher then the pavers? It's really not that high and less than 1/2 an inch.

thank you, what I did before was to setup the pool without leveling on 1/4 minus rocks. It was so out of level. So I drained the pool and a landscaper level the rocks, level sand and place 12x12 pavers for each post.

Is it ok if the sand is a little higher then the pavers? It's really not that high and less than 1/2 an inch.

I would think that if the sand is only slightly higher than the paver, it will compact and settle to about level once 10K gallons of water is placed on it.

I used 3/4" foam on top of compacted crush and run and the feel is perfect. I do not feel you need both sand and foam. I am personally very glad I went with foam as their is no risk of washout like there is with sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not use sand. On my initial install I put sand on top of the compacted base. I have since removed as much sand as possible and placed my polystyrene foam directly on top of the compacted base.

Sand washes away, blows away, and is unnecessary. My recommendation is some type of pad (polystyrene for me) directly on top of the compacted base.

I would think that if the sand is only slightly higher than the paver, it will compact and settle to about level once 10K gallons of water is placed on it.

I used 3/4" foam on top of compacted crush and run and the feel is perfect. I do not feel you need both sand and foam. I am personally very glad I went with foam as their is no risk of washout like there is with sand.

thanks for the assurance , what's keeping me away from the foam is the cost. can't spend any more money but I live in the dessert and the sand is surrounded by minus rocks. hopefully it will hold.

I just found this post and im installing a 15x30 oval pool in New jersey. I have 1 inch thick Extruded polystyrene sheets for the base. I compacted the direct base with a plate compactor level. I was thinking about adding a root barrier like a 18 mil plastic sheeting used for under concrete slabs. would this be a good idea under the XPS?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.