PH Issues

May 15, 2015
Chandler
Hi,
I've been doing the TFP method for about a month or so. Not having problems with FC, but PH keeps going up. I just had to add 90oz after 5 days and had been adding about 40 oz every 2-3 days before that. Trying to keep PH at 7.5 or so and it keeps going to 8.2. I live in Chandler, AZ which has averaged 105-110 degrees over the last couple weeks. I also just resurfaced the pool in October. Here are my numbers, I just took. And yes, I know I need to raise my FC to be 8. Adding today. Is it high temps? New surface? Liquid chlorine (I read somewhere liquid raises PH)?

FC - 3
CC - 0
CYA - 70
PH - 8.2
TA - 100
CH - 500
Borates - 40

Do you have a fountain or waterfall? Are your returns turned up so that they break the water and roll the water? All of these can cause PH to go up.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Look at the levels in the link. Look at the CH for a plaster pool. Your CH is high.

I wonder if the high PH and CH are from the new plaster?

Liquid chlorine does not make my PH go up.

Kim

No my fountains are not turned on I do have them but they were not turn on all week. The pressure does make the water move but I would not describe it is rolling. And yes I know my calcium is high, I'm planning to drain in the fall when it's not so hot. With the high calcium affect the pH? One of my questions was whether or not the new plaster is messing with the pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since the new plaster was put in in October would I still be adding the acid through August?
Some but not as much as you indicate.

First of all, rising pH is a natural occurrence in a pool and you can manage it perhaps a little better but you can hardly ever stop it.

I would suggest you lower your TA down to around 60 ppm. Many folks (but not all) report noticeable success with controlling the RATE of the rise if the TA is held down low

You will need muriatic acid and you will need to follow the article in Pool School on lowering TA.

I figured out on the calculator that to lower ph from 8.2 down to 7.2 it is 46 oz of acid (28%). If I have 40 borates then it is 113 oz. That's why I'm having to add so much acid. 40 oz a week is pretty normal during 110 degree days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.