BBB Newbie - Startup after drain - double-check me!

Jun 7, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just putting in initial chemicals after we drained for an acid wash. New to the BBB method...

Here are my numbers right now right after the fill, before adding anything:

FC - 0
CC - 0.2ppm
PH - ~7.3
CYA - 0ppm / the black dot never dissapeared
TA - 140ppm
CH - 260ppm

Based on the above, and given that my pool is roughly between 19k and 21k gallons, here's what I'm about to do (calculated based on 19k gallons, just to be safe):

1. Add approximately 101 oz [weight] of stabilizer in a sock (CYA).
  2. Add approximately 158 oz [volume] of liquid bleach (FC/CC).
  3. And possibly: run the pool in spillover mode for aeration to bump the PH up slightly? Or not a huge concern yet?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
I did not check the numbers, but yes, you want to add at least 30ppm of CYA (likely eventually want to get to 50ppm) and you want to get some FC in the water.

The pH should be fine, the higher TA will cause it to rise.

Yes, add CYA and bleach. PH is good between 7.2&7.8. TA is fine as long as your PH is stable. It may tend to rise with TA at 140 so keep an eye on PH.

Should I be adding 'sequestrant' first, before adding either CYA or FC?

Pool was filled from Las Vegas city water -- but I believe it does have a small amount of copper in it (avg. of 0.7ppm, according to the water company's latest "Water Quality Report").

Or should I just go straight for the CYA/FC ?

Thanks again!

I went ahead and added the bleach (FC) and the stabilizer (CYA).

I put the stabilizer in an old pillowcase and hung it over the side of the pool. I put a bit less than the full dosage, just to be on the safe side, can easily add more. Am also a little concerned that it's going to take quite a while for it to dissolve and have the desired impact.

I guess until it has dissolved, and the CYA has come up to the appropriate levels, that I just need to keep a close eye on the FC and be pretty liberal in adding additional chlorine/bleach?

Thanks again to everyone for your guidance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.