Ranting!!!

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
Posting in Coffee Bar because it's just a rant!!! Pool Service is already fired, but I got fired up myself again!!!!

My TA readings, and the pool guy was showing a perfect 70 TA. Last week, while I was on the phone and not watching I heard a splash and jumped, asking "What the was that?" since I had already stated I was keeping the service for now but wanted no changes without checking with me. He says "Oh, just sodium bicarb, Ph was low". Ummmmm.

A bucket of it added. Ph has now swung from 7.5 to 8.0 but TA went from 70 to 130. NOW I have to bring TA down before I can add borates. Oh, those borates the same guy says are the same thing as sodium bicarbonate, which is also the same as soda ash. Sheesh. Looks like I was a week late in telling them to not touch my pool :(

Managers are cool though, and understanding, looks like only an issue with their know it all employee. Oh, and he said ALL of you are wrong, you can't dilute a sample to get a reading on high CYA, lol.

Rant over. I'm equally entertained by so many other similar stories from people about local pool stores or service.

Yea, they needed to be fired.

But, they are kind of correct on the CYA test. We are trying to get away form diluted tests because as you double or triple the reading you double or triple the error rate of the test. On a doubled dilution test your CYA could be about 30 points in either direction from what you are seeing. Not as exact as we like. Unless you are in California with major water restrictions it's easier to just advise partial drain/refill & retest because ultimately you will be doing that anyway....

Sorry about your TA:mad:

Yeah, from a pure chemistry point diluting likely isn't accurate, but I doubt it's off by much unless my tap water and bottled water both have some significant CYA in it. Not wasting the regents to check :) It's also not worth getting RO/DI water or something. It certainly reads WELL above 100 with no dilution though, and I got 140 with dilution. Ran the hose a lot and drained off excess and seeing 130 now. Probably close enough, other than knowing it should keep coming down. The pool used nothing but pucks for many years until we purchased the house and got the new equipment running, so I'll risk the high CYA for a bit and let it fall due to rainfall, splash-out, and back-washing. 64-65 inches a year of rain I hope will cut CYA in half in less than a year. I'll drain though if I ever need to SLAM it, as well as real soon start some draining to at least get it into a measurable range. I have a pile of salt bags ready now since I'll lose salt as well.

Trust me, I understand the dilution test. Best I can tell I started north of 200, probably close to 250.

In 18 months I got to the point I had to float some tabs to get from 40 back to 50 where I want to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.