Pro's and Con's of Venturi Skimmers

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
For my future pool build (see signature), I'm considering going with a venturi type skimmer (example shown here), but from what I can tell these are fairly new and not many folks have them. I understand the concept (increased suction using a pool return), and I understand what a venturi is and how it works. But can anyone out there with real world experience using one of these shed any light on their personal thoughts, especially if there are any reasons I may not want to use one (other than the initial higher cost of purchase)? I plan to have 2 skimmers and 6 or 7 returns, as shown in my design here. Thanks!

Ive read about these but have never actually seen one or talked to anyone online that has one.
I dont see any reason why it wouldnt work well though.

I do howver notice one feature that is somewhat similar to my Aqua Genie Skimmer. And that is, there is a return below the skimmer mouth. My experience with this on my aqua genie, is that that sometimes the flow of the return blows debris which is right in front of the skimmer back into the pool.

On my pool I have a variable speed pump, so to prevent that from happening, I keep the RPM on the low side when using the aqua genie return.
Also, I have valves on all of my returns, and I can simply close the valve on the return pipe that goes back to the skimmer.

so, something to thing about in that respect.

hope this helps,

I can't help you with the venturi skimmer, but I opened your thread out of curiosity. Your plan is so cool! I haven't seen that variety before. It looks like a picture of earth from outer space!!!!

Everyone (well, I) would appreciate it if you would go ahead and post that picture in the body of your thread. It's easy to do. In fact, I tried it and can post it in a reply. But I decided that was being a little pushy. You might have a reason for not doing that.

When you pull up the photo, to the right you will see codes. Click the bottom "IMG" code. It will briefly turn yellow. Then simply return to this thread and paste it in a reply window. I know..... what you did is fine, but some of us are old and lazy! We want lots of pictures, but we want them fast!

When do you think you might begin the pool build! It looks fabulous!!!!

Take care! Suz.

Dave, I've heard one person mention the same thing about possibly pushing debris back in from the basket. Seems like they surely would have tested for and fixed that during development. Also seems like the extra suction created by the Venturi would help overcome that effect. Do you know if yours is in fact a Venturi design? Also, other than this obvious benefit, why did you install valves on all of your returns? And did you actually run separate lines for each return from the pump?

Suz, thanks for the compliment on the design. I'm on about iteration #278 (or so) since last June (I'm a planner and tweaker). Hope to start building in March of 2016. I have posted pics in the body of the thread before, but just didn't feel it was that relevant to my question and was trying to keep the thread short and concise. Feel free to post it in a reply if you still want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'll leave the picture alone. You're right - no need for it in this thread. I've missed your build thread somewhere along the way.

I so wish I had started thinking and planning and tweaking on my pool a couple of years ago. Then again, knowing me, I'd still be planning and tweaking. But it sounds like you're making great progress!

Suz.

We are putting in two venturi skimmers. These go hand-in-hand with a large leaf collector (seen on the right side). Not sure how these will function, though. We are still post-shotcrete at this time.

0168ybD.png

My Venturi skimmers were installed yesterday. They are part of my A&A Quickclean in-floor cleaning package. My PB spoke very highly of their effectiveness. Here are pics of mine, more on my pool build - link in signature.

3ED0E296-EEF5-4977-B00E-A4BA0BA42CE6_zps8utrguor.jpg

3A3B5DB2-4B95-47BD-9CFA-28F9F8483731_zpsntrzvklm.jpg

Can't comment on the Venturi but like Divine Dave I too have the Aqua Genie. Love the amount of return it gives but like Dave said it does push stuff back out in front of the return. I have no other returns or jets in my pool which is a PITA....

Hey Matchless, one would think the manufacturer would fix things like, that. But you never know. It wasnt till I had the aqua genie for a while that I found it this has been a problem since day 1. The mfr still is doing the same thing.

All of my returns are plumbed individually. One pipe for each return, and each pipe has a valve at the equipment pad.
I did the returns like this for 2 reasons.
1. So I can control the water flow through each individual pipe and balance the water return back to the pool. I can partially close the valves and balance the water flow back to the pool evenly between all of the returns.

Being able to do this proves to be very effective in getting the current flow going good so that all the floaties on top of the water go into the skimmer. The alternative method of 1 piple around the pool with branches off of it (a.k.a. a return loop) for each return means that the return closest to the filter will have better flow that the remaining ones down stream. Depending on how many returns you have, the last one at the end of the line might not provide much circulation at all.
As a note: It is possible to design a return loop so that all are balanced, but that takes a bit of hydro engineering which includes calculating GPMs, head loss, etc. And most PBs dont have the first clue how to do that. They will just put in however many returns and 1 1/2 pipe, and whatever the results are, good or not...they will leave you with it.

2. I am scared to death of an underground leak!!! If I ever develop a leak in a return line, I can plug the eyeball fitting and close the valve on that pipe. Leak stopped until the source of it localted and determine how to fix it (or not) and still be able to use the pool. With a loop design return, if you spring a underground leak, there isnt any easy way to control, or stop it. You have to fix the leak. Immediately.

Dave, I've heard one person mention the same thing about possibly pushing debris back in from the basket. Seems like they surely would have tested for and fixed that during development. Also seems like the extra suction created by the Venturi would help overcome that effect. Do you know if yours is in fact a Venturi design? Also, other than this obvious benefit, why did you install valves on all of your returns? And did you actually run separate lines for each return from the pump?

Suz, thanks for the compliment on the design. I'm on about iteration #278 (or so) since last June (I'm a planner and tweaker). Hope to start building in March of 2016. I have posted pics in the body of the thread before, but just didn't feel it was that relevant to my question and was trying to keep the thread short and concise. Feel free to post it in a reply if you still want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our pool has the exact same skimmers as spool posted above. We also have directional returns we can use to direct the water towards the skimmers. The builder we chose installs these standard as well as the really wide main drain that doesn't suck kids like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.

Umm: It sounds like you have an excellent PB! See, these are the things I wish the PBs had talked to me about, so I at least knew what my options were! I know my skimmers don't look like those, and I have no idea if I'm getting directional returns or not.
Suz.

We are getting the 'swing' jets that direct water downwards. That should help optimal circulation and not blow the debris from the skimmer. I have not seen these installed in a pool, but will have it once we finish ours.

attachment.php

Attachments

• swingjet-placement-2.jpg
    swingjet-placement-2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 470
I have a venturi. That return under the skimmer is on its own valve separate from the other wall returns so we can dial it in. It does increase the suction. There's really no way to determine how much smaller debris is getting shot back into the pool, and if the pool is cleaner than it would be without one. It's all going on faith to some degree. It works for us.

Is that filter a DE filter? You'll need to turn the venturi return off completely when you recharge your DE. Otherwise it'll shoot the DE right back into the pool.

Umm: It sounds like you have an excellent PB! See, these are the things I wish the PBs had talked to me about, so I at least knew what my options were! I know my skimmers don't look like those, and I have no idea if I'm getting directional returns or not.
Suz.

Suz we really do have a good pool builder. They just have a lot of growing pains right now. The pool business in Austin is nuts and is growing like crazy. I am guessing most of the builders are going through this or choosing not to build more than normal like some I talked to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.