How long to keep chemicals in pool before using it?

Jun 2, 2008
Marana, AZ
I don't have to really close my pool; temps here don't always get below freezing in the night, and never during the day, and when they do get below freezing I just run the pump. So I kept my pool full in order to be able to run the pump, and kept a solar cover on it to keep the worst of the dirt out of it. So far no algae. I have not added any chemicals whatsoever since November. When it gets warm enough for swimming, should I just do the balance and shock, vacuum, and if necessary get rid of algae, and then swim; or should I have chlorine in the pool for several days before swimming?

As long as you can maintain your FC level at a value appropriate for your CYA level you can swim. If you get algae it might take a couple of days before you get to that point. If you don't have any algae you can verify that the FC level is holding in an hour or two (assuming you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test, slightly longer with other kinds of chlorine tests).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.