Pool looks green, sand filter leaking sand into pool

May 31, 2013
St.Louis, MO
My pool has been looking 'green' lately. It seems to be getting worse.

We had a bunch of rain a week ago and I drained a lot of water.. I didn't end up getting my CYA and Salt level back up to where they should be since the pool looked funny and I wasn't sure if i'd need to SLAM it. Also, my sand filter has been leaking sand into the pool since sometime during my first season with the pool (this is my 3rd season, I should've fixed it sooner). It usually just required me vacuuming a little sand back into the filter once a week, but it seems to be worse this season. I uploaded a video to youtube of me scrubbing the pool (link below)

So any ideas what's going on? is it just so dirty with sand that it's appearing greenish? I've done a little research into fixing my filter before, seems like most of the time, the little fingers at the bottom break? Any tips on getting to them, i've heard you need to scoop the sand out or use a shop vac. My house sat vacant for a couple seasons, so I suspect something broke when it was turned on after sitting for so long.

but here are my results:

FC - 6.5
CC - .5
pH - 7.7
TA - 60
CH - 50
CYA - 40
Salt - 2700

20150627_101105.jpg

20150627_101111.jpg

20150627_101127.jpg

20150627_101117.jpg
(sample I took for testing)

Not sure if there's a way to embed youtube videos, heres the link. I vacuumed a little last night, but it's still pretty sandy today:
Scrubbing sandy pool - YouTube

I am so glad you have a good test kit! You are far ahead of the rest!

Filter-you really need to take the sand out and look at your laterals and pipe. We had one person that had a tiny little chip out of the top of the pipe that was letting sand back into the pool. You can use a shop vac to suck the sand out. I put mine in my wheelbarrow so I did not have to bend down so much and I could just dump the sand into the wheelbarrow when the vac got full. It also gives your room to wash it out good.

Your pool color says time to SLAM to me :( That is algae colored for sure.

I am not sure which you want to do first. Let me know and we can go from there.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

The video worked. Good job! Yeah you have algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.