Restarting pump, wont create suction?

seeclearly

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 13, 2011
WA state
Hi all,
I'm replacing my liner for the first time ever, and have a bunch of water I need to get out of the pool. My aboveground has a main drain (as well as a dished bottom, so there is a lot of water). I should be able to get the pump running and backwash out the water using the main drain only, right?

I have the skimmer valve shut, the main drain open, the pool return closed, the sand filter set to backwash. The pump turns on, the sand filter seems full of water. The pressure valve on the pump is registering quite high, but I don't necessarily trust it. I should perhaps go get a new pressure indicator to see if the condition is real. When I add water to the pump skimmer basket to bring it up to the level of the pump intake, the level lowers and doesn't prime the pump. I can only get the water up to that level by closing the main drain valve to get started, then opening quickly. I did briefly see pressure on the backwash end at that time, so I don't think the filter and backwash plumbing is the problem. Also the pool is 10 years old and it has worked so far so there's no reason for the plumbing to be "wrong" now.

The water is silty but I have fished out any actual debris. I don't think there is a clog. I haven't seen any air bubbles coming up into the pool to prove it, though. The water is going Somewhere, and the pool is about the only place, unless there is a broken pipe under the pool, which seems unlikely.

Any secrets I should know about? Suggestions?

Eagerly awaiting your expert knowledge of fluid dynamics!

Above ground pumps are not usually self priming and are designed to be below the water level and automatically prime. Meaning if the valves were open and the lid of the pump was off, water should be pouring out.

It doesn't pour out, it drains away into the pool. (Normally it would pour out, seen by the washing of the skimmer window when in use) At its partially full state, the pump is above the water level. So then I'm guessing I can't get suction until the pool is full enough to get the pump below water level?

In that case I'll just use a simple siphon.

Thanks!

It doesn't pour out, it drains away into the pool. (Normally it would pour out, seen by the washing of the skimmer window when in use) At its partially full state, the pump is above the water level. So then I'm guessing I can't get suction until the pool is full enough to get the pump below water level?

In that case I'll just use a simple siphon.

Thanks!
The pool vacuum hose will flow way more than a garden hose as a siphon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.