Pressure Trouble?

Jul 13, 2007
I use a robot cleaner during the summer but we are using a Kreepy (suction) over the winter. This is our first winter and I am keeping our pool open since we don't get a lot of leaves etc. However, I have noticed that the pressure has been steadily climbing since we put our robot up. We have a TA100 (625 lbs) sand filter and a 1.5 HP uprated Whisperflo pump. Over the summer the normal operation pressure was 15 psi and we seldom had to backwash. Since we are now using the Kreepy, I am having to backwash more but can't seem to get the pressure back down to the 15 range. I just backwashed this afternoon and the pressure is 21. Opening/closing valves has no effect on the reading. I am wondering if I should be concerned about a blockage somewhere or maybe I am just not backwashing enough. Probably 5 minutes is the longest I have done it but the water looks pretty clear coming out of the hose. Thanks in advance!

How are things plumbed? In particular, how many skimmers/drains are there and is the Kreepy connected to an existing skimmer, or does it have it's own dedicated line? Also, what kind of filter do you have?

Suction side cleaners tend to get a great deal more debris into the filter than skimmers alone. If you have a main drain the difference isn't as dramatic, but it is still noticeable.

It sounds like you are doing and understanding everything correctly.

I might replace the guage simply because it is painless (both cost and labor) and guages are notorious for going bad.

Additionally, 21 psi sounds just a little high for that big filter......adding to the reason to perhaps suspect the guage.

Sorry I left out the information about the plumbing. We actually have the following...all with their own valve:

Suction Side:
North Skimmer
South Skimmer
Main Drain
Suction Cleaner port

Return:
6 pool returns
steps
swim out

The cleaner has a dedicated line...we do not use the skimmer. We also do not run the cleaner all the time. The filter is a Pentair TA100 which is a bit oversized for our 34K gallon pool. The guage is less than an year old....is this something that must be replaced every season?

The guage is less than an year old....is this something that must be replaced every season?
No, but it's an $8.00 item and, for sure, a DIY, so it's a cheap place to start.

With that system, I would expect a clean filter psi of somewhere less than 15. (mine's 11 with fewer returns and intakes) If your backwash water is clean, your filter is clean as well.

Mas985 has posted a nice, quick calculation on how to calculate psi and that should give you an indicator as well. I did a quick search and missed it but it's here on the forum.

Thanks guys.....since we ran the pool all summer at around 15 psi, I am assuming that is normal for our pool. I took a look at the guage and it looks like it should be easy to replace. I am assuming that I need to turn off the pump and valves to make it possible and do you know if teflon tape will work or do I need some type of paste. The one on the filter looks like it has putty or something. Thanks!

Just wanted to report back in with the results......drum roll.......

You guys were right again! The new pressure guage has seemed to fix the problem with the new one reading about 5 psi lower than the old one. Replacement was cheap (around $6) and quick. Thanks for your help!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.