Help. Just getting started!

Jun 27, 2015
Waco Texas
I am really nervous about all this pool stuff but I like what I have read so far! I don't have the test kit everyone is talking about but I am ordering one. With that said I bought a lot of stuff when I bought my pool. 3 in chlorine tabs, a floater, a small bag of shock, some ph increaser, and some algecide 40. Should I return all those items(will help pay for new test kit)? Right now I am using the hth multi-purpuse 6 way test strips. My readings last night and this morning are ALK 80 PH 7.8 FREE CL 0 HARD 200 CYA 40. We had a big storm blow in last night so my pool is almost over flowing. We used the pool yesterday but I am holding off on it today unitl I know what to do! Ready to learn!
swim.gif

Hello and welcome! If it were me ... return those items right away and get your money back to pay the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Everything begins with the kit. The rest is easy - much easier than we ever believe at first. So while you wait for the kit (and to post some results) read the Pool School page and links you see below in my signature. For now, just put about 1/2 gallon of bleach in your pool each evening until your kit arrives. We'll help you from there. Welcome!

A couple days of posting and getting your questions answered, and your nerves will subside.

What does the water look like? Green? Clear? Cloudy?

I'd return most of it if you can. Apparently we can't return pool chemicals, even if they are unopened, in Connecticut. Texas may be different. You'll hear a lot of recommendations for maximum strength liquid unscented bleach. You can get more concentrated liquid chlorine at the pool store or perhaps a discount store (We have Ocean State Job Lot in the Northeast that sells true 128 oz. gallons of 12.5% concentration Sodium Hypochlorite, which is the same active ingredient in household bleach).

Someone will be around to tell you about the tabs. They have CYA in them and will raise that level in your pool. The most efficient way to lower CYA is to do a partial drain/re-fill. but at 40 ppm you can probably get away with using them for a little while. Tabs aren't as much of an issue here but our season lasts about 4 month on the long side, we do partial drains every September in order to close the pool for the winter. In Texas, my guess is you can have a 12 month season if you tried, so tabs are probably bit less efficient.

Finally I've come to learn that "Shock" is a process, not a product (return it) and algaecide is misleading. Algaecide doesn't kill algae like the name implies. It prevents it. Chlorine does both. Chlorine at high concentrations kills algae. Chlorine at lower, sustained levels prevents it.

Strips are inconsistent at best, so the test kit is imperative. See Texas Splash's post above.

In any case, Welcome to the board!

attachment.php

This is what my pool looks like right now. There is still no chlorine registering on the test strips.

- - - Updated - - -

attachment.php

This is what my pool looks like right now. There is still no chlorine registering on the test strips.

Attachments

• Pool 6-27.jpg
    Pool 6-27.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 136
Bleach should be unscented. Did you use poolmath to calculate how much bleach to add? What was your target level?

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Keep chlorine at target level at all times so that your pool is properly sanitized and algae free.

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

Have you added any CYA to the pool at all? That is stabilizer which is basically a sunscreen for your chlorine. If it's not in there, the sun is consuming your chlorine very quickly.

You really need the TF100 asap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay then, first thing is stabilizer (CYA) right away. You can get it at Wal-Mart, a 4-lb bottle. It's a granule stabilizer, so put about 35 oz in an old sock and dangle it in front of a return or near the skimmer. Squeeze it from time to time to help it dissolve and dissipate. Pool math says 35 oz will get you to about 40 CYA which should be a good starting point there in Waco. It takes about a week to show-up on tests anyways.

Keep adding about 1/2 gallon of regular (generic) bleach from HEB or Wal-Mart every evening. When your kit comes in and we know CYA is starting to build, we'll up that bleach a little more to increase your "Free Chlorine" (FC).

I suppose you have no way to test your PH huh? It would be good to get that around the mid 7s if possible.

But those are some things you can do for now until your test kit arrives. :)

I have the cheap hth 6 way test strips. My readings on that one look like

FC 5/10
PH 7.5
TA 80
TH 200
CYA LOOKS LIKE 0

i know they are probably worthless but that is the best I have right now. I will go buy the stabilizer asap. Is it ok to put it in a white knee high? We don't have white socks. Only black. That is another story! Lol

Thank you for your help.

Use a (pair of) sock(s) you don't plan on ever wearing again and you should be fine with black. As Tex Splash says Put a 1/2gallon of liquid chlorine in the pool every evening until you get your test kit. The higher the concentration the better.

What is "TH"? Do you mean Calcium Hardness (CH?) or Total Alkalinity (TA)? that's a big number for TA, but CH doesn't really matter for a vinyl pool.

Yeah, I'm assuming your TH was meant to be CA (hardness) which would not apply much to your vinyl pool anyway. Try to keep that PH between 7.2 and 7.5 for when your real test kit arrives in preperation for a "SLAM". The strips are pretty-much worthless for everything else. :) In the meantime, your sock (stocklng) will be soaking :), and you're simply adding a littel bleach each evening to keep things from getting any worse. Once your kit arrives, we will get serious with a SLAM on your pool. You can read-up on it (SLAM) in my link below. Have a great holiday weekend.

Hello! Sorry I didn't get back to you last night. I got my test kit in today! Here are my results.

FC 11
CC 1
CH 200
TA 140
CYA 20
PH 7.2
Water temp 82

Assuming a did all the test right! I plugged in the numbers into pool math and I don't know what to do first. I added the stabilizer last night in a sock and it is all out of the sock now. I know it will take a week to show up on test.

Great! Okay, so let's re-cap where you're at. How does the water look? Clear? No fuzz or algae-looking stuff in the water or on the liner anywhere? If not, then that's good. Your stabilizer will do it's thing and increase over the next few days. What was your target CYA ... 30? 40? If it was 30, then your target FC should be 4. If your target CYA was 40, then your FC should be 5. You can see this on the Chlorine/CYA chart link in my sig. Keep that on your fridge. :) Cardinal rule: Never ever let your FC drop below the minimum levels on that chart. That's no bueno. :(

Your CC is a little higher than what we would like. We like .5 or less. Perhaps tonight after the sun goes down, take an FC reading, then in the morning before the sun comes up, take another FC reading. If it dropped more than 1 ppm, you probably should do a SLAM (link below). But we can help you with that if that's the case.

Other than that, your readings look pretty good. The FC is high, but it will fall quickly with the sun. Just keep an eye on it and don't let it drop too low as noted on the chart. Do that overnight FC test to make sure everything is okay. If you need anything else, let us know. :)

I cannot express enough how greatful I am for you guys! You are awesome! The pool
looks clear to me but not sparkling. I need to vacuum but I am waiting a few days for the stabilizer to dissolve more. I will test FC again tonight. I was worried about the TA. I did move the eyeball up for a ripple effect and I believe it helps my pool not to look as inviting to Mosquitos. Is my PH ok at 7.2? Should I run all my tests again tonight? I did not see any green or algae lines around the pool but I am still going to give it a good scrubbing. Sadly it is under a pecan tree so I get leaves and pecans in it Also, bird poop. I clean it out several time a day. On the upside it has shade for when the sun is burning down on it.

Thanks,

Angelica
PS. My kids are loving the pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.