Pump Timer Issue...I'm stumped

Jun 27, 2015
Tucson
The timer at our new house stopped working. It will still turn on manually if you flip the switch, but the timer isn't working and the gears aren't moving. I ordered a new motor, took the timer off, swapped out the motor, reinstalled, and nothing changed - manual works, timer doesn't.

This was the wiring I found when installing the new timer motor:

attachment.php

It looks like the wire to the motor was burned/shorted? Does anyone know if this might be my issue? I snipped/stripped the wiring back a bit and cleaned up the wiring and replaced the protective cover over the wire. I checked the four fuses in the box next to it and they're all fine. I just don't want to order a whole new timer if the wiring is the issue, and I'd prefer a DIY fix before calling someone out. Thanks for any help anyone might have!

One of the two small wires from the clock motor (on the left) doesn't appear to have anything connected. With that set up, the motor will not run. That's like plugging something in to a wall socket where one of the plug tabs is cut off.

Using a high voltage power tester, you'll need to confirm which wires come from the breaker and which wires go to the motor. The wires from the breaker go to the terminals marked "line", and the ones to the motor go to the terminal marked "load."

If I were to guess, the black (line) and the white (neutral) wires are your source power, which appears to be 120v. I would also guess that the red one goes to the pump. Again, I'm guessing based on the picture. Don't assume, use a meter or tester.

Is your power source 120v? If so, this is how it should be wired.

t101-wiring-400.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.