1st. Pool. Need Suggestions

kmb997

Jun 13, 2007
New Orleans
I will be getting my first pool tomorrow, Intex 18'x48". My ground is level and would like to know what to put down and what chemicals to use to keep grass and weeds from growing? I'm planning to upgrade the filter and pump and would like some recommendations? What size filter and what size and speed pump? For those of you here, who have upgraded your Intex pumps and filters, can you tell me how to modify the plumbing? I've been reading all the different posts about DE, Sand, and Cartridge filters and have come up with confusion in choosing which kind. I want the easiest, cheapest, fastest way to keep this pool clean and running. I'm not exactly sure what comes with this Intex pool, but should I also get a better skimmer, if it doesn't come with one? I'm planning on using the BBB method after reading about it here. It sounds pretty easy if I keep up with my pool. I saw two calculators here and would like to know what everyone is using or if I should use both, the BleachCalc and the one by Justin?

Thanks!

Are you getting the softside or frameset pool? The equipment with them is different and the equipment you can USE with them is different (skimmer) -

We used to have a softside Intex 18'x48" pool before our regular 18' then on to the big pool we have now. Some things may have changed since we had an Intex but I'm pretty sure they don't sell the bigger filtering systems/pumps with them anymore so I would say that your first thing is to upgrade that. Filter size/quality is usually more important than pump size, but with the Intex models that itty bitty thing won't be enough to run a cleaner or anything and we had a set of solar panels and an automatic cleaner running on ours so pump does matter in that case.

I think the skimmer is an "over the wall" type that hangs off into the side and sits level with the water surface. If so, you would need to remove that temporarily to run an automatic cleaner or pool vac on the suction side.

We have had both cartridge filters and sand, I prefer sand for ease of use and good filtering. JMHO.

A lot of people use Roundup about a week before they put in the pool. Never use oil or petroleum based products under a pool, liner or ground sheet. We actually put some landscaping fabric down under the ground sheet.

Hope this helps some!

Hi!
Earlier this spring I looked into an 18x4 frameset pool by intex. it was about $400, if I remember.
It came with a bigger pump/filter than the smaller pools, and you could use their auto-cleaner with it. It also has a skimmer, but as NWMNMom pointed out, it is over-the-side. Better than nothing, but not the best for sure.
You could also use a real vacuum through the filter with this model, not just the venturi thing that you have to use with the water hose. The floating skimmer, vac, ground cloth, brush, leaf skimmer (not the rake kind, just a regular skimmer net) were all included.
All in all, it sounded pretty good, for what it is! Then I found it on sale (which instantly made it a VERY good deal!) and we were going to go ahead and get it to use for a few years, but we decided not to only because our yard would require much much MUCH levelling. We are basically on rock, so we could not do-it-ourselves. So we decided to keep saving for the real thing.

I will be getting the metal frame Intex. I have talked to a few friends and a pool shop and everyone agrees I should upgrade the pump and filter, not with another from Intex. This is my first pool, so I don't know if certain brands are better than others. From reading posts here, it seems like a 1hp might be too much and I don't know what size sand filter I should get if I decide to go with sand. I see 16", 19", 21" etc. models. I've read that a bigger filter is better than a bigger pump, so I don't mind paying a little more for a 21" over a 16" sand filter, but I also don't want my pump and filter to cost more than my cheap pool. I don't know much about pools, except from what I've learned here the last couple of days. I figure there are skimmers that I can put inline with the rest of the equipment outside the pool. Is this correct? If so, what kind should I get? Also, what does everyone recommend for a vacuum or auto. pool cleaner for this type of pool? It's starting to feel like my upgrades will cost more than my pool, but I guess if I decide to get a real AG pool in the future, I could still use these upgraded items. Anybody have any ideas on these questions?

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks.

There are two kinds of skimmers, over the wall and IN wall or through the wall, which is what standard AG pools use. You need to have a hard metal side for that so I don't know how that would work with the Intex pools - the poles are metal but the walls are not. Maybe that PoolSkim product that someone talked about here would be a good choice? That actually runs off the return.

Depending on how big your pool is, then you could decide on filter - 1/2hp or 3/4 pump would probably work nicely with a 19-21" filter? I have a 22" sand filter on my pool. The Aquabugs or Divers seem to be popular and work pretty well for smaller pools.

No matter what you decide on, you will need BLEACH.

We have a 12' x 24' Intex metal frame pool. I just ordered one of their deluxe cleaning kits that comes with the over the wall skimmer, vacuum head , pole and all necessary hoses and adapters ($50 @ Target). I will be able to test it out in about a week when it arrives. Right now we have the intex pump (2000 gph) and cartridge filler that came with the pool. This is our first year with the pool so we will see how well it all works.

Chris

to keep the weeds from growing

if you plan to leave it up year round, ( which in the south we can get away with ) I used Round Up, and turn the soil over with pelet salt (water softener salt) and watered in real well. then put on about 2 inches of builders/masons sand, 10 mil vinyl, then the tarp. on my 2nd year, nothing poping up!
Just make sure it is level, but more important with these metal frames, the support poles come with a dinky plastic pad that will sink into the dirt upon you putting water weight into the pool, giving the appearance of an unlevel pool. I suggest carefully placed blocks, and paking the dirt. Definatly not an 'easy set' by any means. Any unlevel spots can be corrected with a floor jack, 2 x10 and some patients.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cstanston, keep us updated.

jax, I'm in New Orleans, so I will be keeping it up all year. Same weather as you, here. I already dug up the grass, put down round up, salt, and sand. Sand was mostly for leveling but I hope it works the same. I plan on using some vinyl, then tar paper used for roofing (suggestion from a friend, don't know if this is a good idea, but worked in the garden), then another layer of vinyl or skip the extra vinyl and just the tarp.

I have the 15x4' Intex pool and very happy with it for the $270 i spent on it.

It came w/ the over the rail skimmer, pump, hoses, extendable pole, net (wire screen one) and a vacume brush you hook a hose to. If I can find the right hose... Im thinking about connecting it from my intake hose onto this brush so I can brush and vacume it at the same time instead of having my wife chase down the "flying" debri in the pool with the net.

I clean my filter everyday... I have 2 of them, take one out and replace it and clean the other one very well. Im not sure on the GPH on it but it pushes some water for whatever size it is (im sure its small)

It will also come w/ a tarp to put down underneath it. I didn't know this. I already had put down 2 10x10 tarps and then seen this so I put it over those 2.

Before placing my tarps down I weedeated the grass all the way to the ground w/ one of those plastic 3 blade weedeater heads. My yard was pretty level already (had a pool before but never got it up due to it being a POS)

Anyways, I would jsut run your pump and filter for now until you decide that you like it and want to keep it and use it quite a bit. I also suggest the BBB method as I read up on it before I started my pool and have had zero problems so far.

Good swimming

I swapped out the filter cartridge yesterday and cleaned the one I removed. It was a little dirty so I just hosed it out. I have been running the pump in the afternoon for about 6 hours.

Chemical usage has been about 2 1/2 cups of 10% chlorine liquid a day. I think this may improve as my CYA comes up.

The kids have been swimming for a couple of hours every day, but the water is a little cold for me (62 degrees).

The skimmer and maintenance kit I ordered should be here on Wednesday. I have also purchased a 4' x 20' Sungrabber solar panel and plan on hooking it up this weekend. Hopefully this will bring the water temperature up to a more comfortable temp.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.