simonoaks

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2015
Juno Beach , Florida
So last night, I dropped from FC 6 to 1ppm at 10am this morning. Cannot delay the SLAM any longer.
Wanted to keep a record here to make sure experts can help me do it right:

6/27/15
10am
FC 1
CC 0
PH 7.2
CH 450
CYA 65/70

10.20am
Added 363 oz publix brand bleach

1100 am
FC 23
CC 00

Added 90oz bleach

As a side note, as I have never been sure of pool size, can I use this as a way of accurately calculating pool size as xxx of CL with raise xxx of water by xxx? So if I went from 1ppm to 23 ppm with 363 oz of 8% bleach, does that not equate to 11,000 gallons , instead of the 12,000 I have been working to thus far in my pool journey?

thx

Unfortunately, bleach strength can vary a lot regardless of what the label says. Sometimes it's overstrength to allow for losses in storage. Sometimes it hasn't been stored well and for too long and it's weak. So it won't be accurate. However... if you're constantly overshooting, then the pol is probably smaller than you think and you should reduce the volume in poolmath. If you're constantly undershooting then it's bigger than you think and you should increase the volume in poolmath.

Once the SLAM is done and you have a few weeks of normal maintenance, you'll be better able to finetune it based on FC additions and pH adjustments and TA drop.

27/6/15

2pm
FC 28
CC 0

For you experienced people, are these initial findings showing anything. I presume a 1.5 drop in 2.5 hours in sunlight is not too bad? CC is still zero and water is still perfectly clear.
Should I add bleach to get it back up to 29.5 or leave it at the 28 mark seeing as that is 3 ppm over chart recommendation anyway? thx

If you are still actively SLAMming, then yes, keep it at your SLAM FC level until you are sure you've passed all 3 SLAM criteria:
1. Water is clear
2. You do not lose any more than 1ppm of FC overnight (that's the OCLT)
3. CC (Combined Chlorine) is <.5
So it looks like you still need to keep going until you pass the overnight portion.

As for how much loss during the day is acceptable, that might vary based on a variety of factors. At your rate noted above, after 8 hours you might lose 4.5 ppm. With a CYA as high as your was listed (60/70) it looks like your bleach might still be fighting a few more organic materials ... along with the FL sunshine. Stay with it today and see how your overnight test (drop) comes-out.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you are very close!

6/27/15
3.50pm

FC 24
CC 0
PH 7.4

So now at the lowest end of safe , so will let them go swimming for hour or so. I will then add bleach and bump it a bit to 28, to take it to the high end of the possible range. That makes sense, right?

thanks for ongoing help.

Will make support payment later.

cheers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ah, made a command decision so I get to forget it all until 6am alarm. Added 26 oz bleach . Will do last test in 30 mins.

I lost 1.5 ppm between 7pm and 8.40pm, so I am guessing I will lose about 4 ppm with no sun overnight. Be interesting to see how close I am with guess.

6/27/15

9.30 pm
FC 33
CC 0

Really odd how pool calc said raising 26.5 to 28 was 26 oz of 8% for 11k gallon pool.
Yet it went up to 33 , any ideas why such a massive discrepancy ?
If you work it the other way round on the calculator, it should take 111oz to raise 26.5 to 33. Very odd , eh ?

Make sure you're up and pool side before the sun comes up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.