Which Stabilizer is best?

Jun 18, 2015
Arlington, WA
Hello again, I believe I fixed my signature so it should now show my info! I have won the battle with my levels...I believe. ..now I just need to add some stabilizer, the pool calculator let me know this! That site is amazing by the way and so is this one....Thank you for helping this new pool owner learn about the best ways to maintain my pool! I am heading to Walmart today to pick up some stabilizer but I don't know which one is best...any suggestions for this newbie?

Hi MissLaci,

Walmart carries the HTH brand of Stabilizer & Conditioner - granular type. Thats what I use. It comes in a 4 lb jug.
If not seen any other brand of stabilizer that they carry (at least not in my store).

If you look at the ingredients on the jug, it should say 95 % or higher, cyanauric acid.

There are liquid ones too, but they are expensive and not a good value vs the granular.

Hope this helps,

I know this is an old thread, but for some reason my local stores have stopped carrying a good number of HTH products. I used those in previous years (mainly the sanitizer, and alkalinity increaser) with pretty good results. Building on that which is noted above, I do see a Clorox product that is available locally (Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer) that is 100% Cyanuric Acid. I believe this to be correct based on my reading above and if others run through the same issue I have, perhaps resurrecting this thread will save them a bit of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, it is fine. Any 100% cyanuric acid product is fine. Clorox bought the HTH brand. Avoid all Clorox products labeled with Blue, those contain copper and will stain your pool, dog, hair and fingernails.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.