New Intex and SWG system qustions

sts00

Jun 19, 2015
VB,VA
Hello, so I am new to pool ownership. Just had a concrete slab laid down to provide proper platform for the Intex 14x42 pool. Plan to landscape around it closer to fall, its just too hot right now.

Been quite a learning process as the pool and the SWG system neither came with proper fittings to work together, seems like most users have a larger pool with larger inlet/outlet diameters to work with. In fact if you put a noodle up to the oulet it will shoot water across the pool to the other side, kids like that I guess. I had to visit the local pool store and the internet to order the right parts. First I had to adapt the hoses to the inlet/outlets and then I had to order the plungers.

As you can see from the pictures below, the weight of the water in the hoses pulls down on the inlet/outlets and the pool sidewall gives way and bends. It has no negative effect of the operation, there is no leaking, but I would not want to leave it this way. I have seen where owners on here have made a system out of PVC piping, maybe that will be a project for next year. Has anyone found a creative way to prop these up with something other than a piece of scrap wood? It would be nice to find a way for the outlet to fit flush inside the pool as well.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 207
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 202
I don't own an Intex but many people have had to retro fit them to get better pump,filters and skimmers, there have also been a lot of hard plumping too. Search for Intex pool modifications.

Route your hose between the frame and the liner to take the strain off of it. The plunger valve doesn't need to be straight up and down.

temporary_zpsdevucwzi.jpg

It will probably be fine. My only suggestion would be to move your filter over some so the hose on the return is not so angled or buy a longer hose. It is pulling because the hose is not coming straight down.
The weight of the water in the hoses does that no matter what, if I slide it left the inlet will pull, it doesn't take much. I guess I will just have to plumb it with PVC. The way the inlet/outlet are constructed on this pool I guess I will never get a fitting to fit lush. Its not just a hole that the fittings screw down over, its actually a tube. Just have to accept it wont be perfect....

- - - Updated - - -

That's a good idea Jeff. Thanks.

Hello, so I am new to pool ownership. Just had a concrete slab laid down to provide proper platform for the Intex 14x42 pool. Plan to landscape around it closer to fall, its just too hot right now.

Been quite a learning process as the pool and the SWG system neither came with proper fittings to work together, seems like most users have a larger pool with larger inlet/outlet diameters to work with. In fact if you put a noodle up to the oulet it will shoot water across the pool to the other side, kids like that I guess. I had to visit the local pool store and the internet to order the right parts. First I had to adapt the hoses to the inlet/outlets and then I had to order the plungers.

As you can see from the pictures below, the weight of the water in the hoses pulls down on the inlet/outlets and the pool sidewall gives way and bends. It has no negative effect of the operation, there is no leaking, but I would not want to leave it this way. I have seen where owners on here have made a system out of PVC piping, maybe that will be a project for next year. Has anyone found a creative way to prop these up with something other than a piece of scrap wood? It would be nice to find a way for the outlet to fit flush inside the pool as well.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would just bite the bullet and hard pipe it with PVC. You will get much better flow and you won't have a hose inadvertently blow off. Mine did it twice, albeit my pump is rated for 4000gpm. I emptied 1/3 of my water twice and once it blew off and soaked me. I finally got to a point where I couldn't tighten down the hose clamps any more. You will also be able to customize features like fountains etc that kids will really like. With my pump, I have a raging current in my 18ft pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.