ph is slightly high, ok to swim?

nate81

May 20, 2013
Raleigh, NC
FC 7
TA 80
ph 7.9 or 8

I dont have any muriatic acid, and i hate to buy 10 lbs of it when the calculator says i only need 4 oz. I understand low pH can damage pool parts and burn your eyes, whats wrong with having a slightly high ph? Will simply swimming in the water lower the ph?

Hi nate,
with that pH, you're ok to swim.

pH is something you will likely continually have to adjust, so a gallon of muriatic acid wont go to waste.

Swimming in the water will not lower pH. Its something that doesnt go down naturally. The opposite is the case.
swimming and splashing around causes bubbles and aeration. And aeration causes pH to naturally rise. How quickly depends on what your TA is.

^^^^^^What Dave said

Stop by Lowes and pick up a gallon of muratic acid, $7.75 a gallon. Look in the paint department, they have two Low Fume has a green label and full strength has a blue label. They make the Low Fume by diluting it, so go with the blue label. It's twice as strong (you need less to adjust your pH) but both are the same price per gallon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.