Filtration Question

I have a GAME 4510 SandPro 1/2 HP sand filter running with my Intex 18 x 48 pool. I'm pretty sure this is plenty of pump. The cartridge filtration system that came with the pool last year was terrible. I had mutiple algae explosions and it was very frustrating. Right now I'm running both the sand filter and the cartridge filter (separate from each other) at least 11 hours a day. Am I running these pumps too much? Do I need both of them? Does it hurt to run both (besides my electric bill). The cartridge filter pulls in water from the middle of the pool while the sand filter is pulling in water from the very bottom. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

While running that set up, IMO, is a little over the top, you can do it if it makes you feel better. Be warned that your algae explosions, as you put it, have nothing to do with filtering and everything to do with dosing your pool adequately with enough chlorine to keep it away.

I'd highly suggest you start reading a little bit of Pool School to help you understand what is going on. Start with ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and look into the Test Kit Comparison. A clear pool requires a great testing kit.

Casey hit the key point, algae is always a chemistry issue- never a filtration issue.

You need to get one of the recommended test kits and SLAM the pool. Once you kill the algae maintaining the proper levels of FC will keep it away.

Algae only grows when there is not enough chlorine in the pool. No amount of filtration will help. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. It is important to keep the chlorine level at target level or slightly higher at all times to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. Allowing the chlorine level to drop below minimum will leave your pool unsanitized and allow algae to start growing. It is safe to swim when your chlorine is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.