changed filters and pump ---- did I make the right move?

Back in the mid 1990's we bought a home with an OLD in-ground pool. It came complete with pump and Hayward filter -- the kind with the lever that you "bump" when things clog up a bit. Now that I have found this forum, I am finding out that I have been doing things all wrong for about 18 years or so. Somehow, I have gotten crystal clear water -- usually after about three weeks of fussing and cussing, each year. I replaced the filter once, about 12 years ago. The pump has been rebuilt once also. Last year the pump started giving me problems again. This spring, I was offered a "good" - "working" (used) setup. It is a Pentair FNS plus 36sq. ft. filter and a good working pump with one hp motor. It has a fancy multiport valve on it. This business of vacuuming to "waste" and back washing is all new to me. It seems far more complicated. I guess my first question here on the forum is -- was this a good move, or maybe I should have rebuilt the old pump yet again??? Be prepared gang --- man, have I got questions!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.