Pump Selection on Owner/Builder

DFWguy

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2015
keller
I am working out the detail on my build scheduled to start in approximately 3 weeks. I would like your help selecting the most efficient pump. I plan to have three 3ft sheer descents on the back walls along with three color cascade bubblers on the sun shelf. The water features alone will require about 160 GPM to properly function. I do not think that one intelliflo 3hp VS pump will be efficient to circulate the pool and run the features all at once. My plans are available in the Dropbox link (I could not figure out how to attach the PDF).

My electric costs are about 10 cents/kwh

Dropbox - Krukiel Oasis.zip

Have you though about an automation system to divert flow to your water features by themselves and not circulate the pool?

The next step up would be an Intelliflo XF, but not sure how much flow that would provide. I don't have much experience with the XF pumps.

I am considering an automation system. IF I do most likely the easytouch with the built in screen logic.

Would it be OK to NOT circulate the pool when features are running? Assuming that this would only happen while swimming.

Short periods would be fine. Plus, if you have kids, they're probably doing more for you than your return jets.

You may find that you don't have to shut returns off completely to run water features, just turned way down.

Just make sure you size your plumbing correctly if you go with XF. You won't get optimum results unless you're feeding that beast with 2.5" or 3" pipe. Also would be a good idea to use the new hi flow 3 way valves Pentair is making.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.