DE Filter Question

Jun 19, 2015
Clinton, MO
Hello all. I currently have a 18ftX48in above ground pool with a Jacuzzi ss160 sand filter and a 1.5HP pump. I believe I have cracked laterals in the filter, as it is spitting sand into the pool, plus its developed a few leaks here and there since last year. Anyway, I came across this setup near me and was wanting some input on it. Would it be worth getting? What type of questions should I ask about it? What do I need to look for? Here is the link to the ad. Entire Pump System for Pool For what it would cost me to rebuild my current filter, this one is only about 100.00 or so higher. Also, which style of filter is easier to maintain? Thanks for the help, William

I have a DE filter but it doesn't look like that lil dinosaur. lol I prefer DE over sand just because it filters out the smallest particles that a sand filter can not. I can't really speak of maintaining a sand filter because I've never had one but my DE filter is pretty simple. Take hoses off pump and filter (I've not hard plumbed yet) I loosen the bolts on top and pull it apart, spray it out along with the fingers and reassemble. On an easy day, I just back wash, bump handle and add DE back into the skimmer.

I knew it was an older system, but it appears that parts are more readily available than they are for my currant filter. I also live on a gravel road and from what I have seen the DE filters do a better job of filtering than a sand filter. Am I correct on that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.