Steps after Slamming?

DRA

Bronze Supporter
Jun 16, 2015
Winston-Salem, NC
First of all, thanks to Trouble Free Pools and all of you in the Forum for the abundance of information on the website. This is my first post. My problem was that I could not hold chlorine, mountains of shock didn’t solve the problem. With that, I made the shift to BBB, liquid chlorine and Slamming. After an intense 2 days and 17 gallons of bleach the problem was burned out, I'm holding chlorine and no CC. Thank you all so much, I’m a believer!

I have a few remaining questions now that my problem has been resolved and I plan to continue to use BBB.

1. Going forward, just to maintain my pool with the BBB approach (not Slamming), I assume I continue to check my water...determine what measurements are below target...punch those values into the PoolMath calculator and make the recommended adjustments…is that correct?.

2. Chlorine in now down to the 5ppm after slamming. Question, with my previous "pool store" approach, my target was 1-3ppm for Chlorine. Why is the target range higher for the BBB method (4-6ppm)? Additionally, should I be concerned that after two days that my FC has dipped to 2ppm and I need to put another half gallon on bleach in the pool to maintain 5ppm?

3. As I was trying to fight my problems with the "Pool Store” approach, I bought 25 pounds of Calcium Hypochloride (Leslie Power Pounder Plus) and a season’s supply of Tricolor tabs earlier this year. Do they both contain CYA? If so, its hard for me to see how I can ever use them (aside from while on vacations) if I want to keep my CYA in the 50 ppm range. Seems like using the above chemicals will only increase my CYA and make it harder for me to use the liquid bleach going forward. On the other hand, I’d like to get some value out of these chemicals since I have nearly $200 invested. Am I seeing things clearly or am I getting paranoid about CYA with the BBB method? Hard for me to see my CYA level ever going down in the future unless I take some of the water out of the pool again….thoughts?

FC - 5 but dipping to 2-3 after a few days
TA - 70
PH - 7.5
CYA - 50

Welcome to TFP!

First, you kind of said it, but I want to be sure - you have passed all three criteria to stop the SLAM:
Clear water
CC less than .5
Passed OCLT with less than 1ppm loss

So, doing forward yes to,what you said. Always keep,your FC above the minimum for your CYA, in your case the minimum is 4 ppm. The 6 target works,for most folks, but you may be different. You may have to target 7 to make sure it never goes below 4. Testing every day for a while will show you.

You did not list your CH level. That CalHypo contains calcium. Do you need some?

Keep the tabs cool,and dry and they will last forever. Your CYA will go down. You can use the tabs for vacation to bring it back up.

First of all, thanks to Trouble Free Pools and all of you in the Forum for the abundance of information on the website. This is my first post. My problem was that I could not hold chlorine, mountains of shock didn’t solve the problem. With that, I made the shift to BBB, liquid chlorine and Slamming. After an intense 2 days and 17 gallons of bleach the problem was burned out, I'm holding chlorine and no CC. Thank you all so much, I’m a believer!

I have a few remaining questions now that my problem has been resolved and I plan to continue to use BBB.

1. Going forward, just to maintain my pool with the BBB approach (not Slamming), I assume I continue to check my water...determine what measurements are below target...punch those values into the PoolMath calculator and make the recommended adjustments…is that correct?Yes

2. Chlorine in now down to the 5ppm after slamming. Question, with my previous "pool store" approach, my target was 1-3ppm for Chlorine. Why is the target range higher for the BBB method (4-6ppm)? Additionally, should I be concerned that after two days that my FC has dipped to 2ppm and I need to put another half gallon on bleach in the pool to maintain 5ppm?
TFP levels are based on science and experience. They have been proven to work over and over with 1000s of pools. You need to feed your pool every day.

3. As I was trying to fight my problems with the "Pool Store” approach, I bought 25 pounds of Calcium Hypochloride (Leslie Power Pounder Plus) and a season’s supply of Tricolor tabs earlier this year. Do they both contain CYA? If so, its hard for me to see how I can ever use them (aside from while on vacations) if I want to keep my CYA in the 50 ppm range. Seems like using the above chemicals will only increase my CYA and make it harder for me to use the liquid bleach going forward. On the other hand, I’d like to get some value out of these chemicals since I have nearly $200 invested. Am I seeing things clearly or am I getting paranoid about CYA with the BBB method? Hard for me to see my CYA level ever going down in the future unless I take some of the water out of the pool again….thoughts?Save your pucks for weekend get aways. Sell the other stuff.

FC - 5 but dipping to 2-3 after a few days
TA - 70
PH - 7.5
CYA - 50

Responses in blue.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.