Any suggestions on my latest test after full drain and refill.

Jun 20, 2015
Biloxi, MS
Any suggestions on my latest test results? I've been trying to get my CYA levels up, yesterday they were 20.

Another thing I've notices is what appears from the surface to be areas of sand on the floor of the pool. As I approach them and attempt to pick them up with the vacuum they disappear. I just did a full drain and refill, any idea what this is ? Water is crystal clear. Suggestions?

TC - 3 (looked like 3 to me on the test kit)
FC - 3
CC - .5
CH - 100 (trying to raise this, I have a gunite pool)
TA - 160
PH - 7.5 (ph was 8.0, added small amount of muriatic acid)
CYA - about 15 (was 20 -- > 30 --> now 15)

OK, a couple of questions......

Are you doing both chlorine tests? That would be the OTO (yellow drops) and the FAS/DPD (powder & drops). Is that why you have so many results?

Suggestions?
SLAM the pool. Even though your water is clear, that "dirt" you see is dead algae and indicates there is live, invisible algae in your pool.

The SLAM process will eliminate it but you must follow the instructions in the SLAM article....it is a process, not a one time application of chlorine.

SLAM the pool. Even though your water is clear, that "dirt" you see is dead algae and indicates there is live, invisible algae in your pool.

The SLAM process will eliminate it but you must follow the instructions in the SLAM article....it is a process, not a one time application of chlorine.

Please don't take this as being rude, but rather a novice pool owner.

So I recently drained and pressure washed my green swamp, wet vac'ed out the little bit of debris that was left afterwards. Refilled the pool (not well water). You still believe it's dead algae (I don't doubt it)? And if it is dead algae, will slamming it make it disappear or is just guaranteed to be dead? Reading the article now as you suggested.

Last edited:
Just to save chemicals, if you do the FAS/DPD don't bother with the OTO. OTO gets you in the ballpark, FAS/DPD gives your the exact levels.

I'm not going to speak for Dave, but even though it's a new fill and you cleaned everything up, there was probably still live stuff left behind. A SLAM on your pool should be quick and easy, unless you have a hidden pocket somewhere like a ligh niche that you didn't open up.

After I did the drain & pressure washing of the pool, I sprayed a quick water / bleach combo along the walls and the light. I didn't open up the light. Still a leery of lights / electricity & water :) Just vacuumed the pool and upped the chlorine level, will test the chlorine level a few times a day while the SLAM is taking place. Thank you guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.