Wierd, not losing chlorine!!!

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
I hope Chem Geek happens by, but this is also for anyone :)

Converted to SWG a couple weeks ago. My CYA is high. It was 140 and I got it down to 130 before converting. It should keep falling.

In any event, Chem Geek's math showed I'd need about 20% run time on my T-15. I'm not even CLOSE to that and not losing anything. I'm running it at 50% for only 5 hours a day. I'm getting FC of 14 in the afternoon after the pumps have stopped, and 13 in the morning before they start. Even with that CYA, AND having an enclosure, shouldn't I be losing more? It's not an OCLT, as it includes all loss from 1 PM to 8 AM the following morning and losing 1 PPM at the most.

On a side note, I keep reading 13-14, pool guy always reads 7-7.5 when he's here. NO idea what kind of test kit he's using, but I'm disturbed at the drastic difference. Well, other than even his shows it as being stable.

Just curious if my enclosure could be making that big of a difference, combined with the high CYA.

You are adding about 1.2ppm of chlorine a day and it seems to be stable. I would think that it is very possible to see what you do with a high CYA level and a screened in pool.

What are you doing to reduce the CYA?

Trust your test kit readings as you have the best test, the FAS/DPD. Find out what test kit your pool guy is using, unless he also has a FAS/DPD test, he will not be nearly as accurate as you are.

Pool guy will be fired soon anyway, and he doesn't like to pull his earphones out to talk, so I'm just happy he also shows stability even if reading a far different level.

His manager has also actually joined TFP after I gave him the info and helped me a lot with the final equipment cut-over. LOL, but his employee just yesterday told me borates were the same thing as sodium bicarbonate. This is after last week where he said everyone here was wrong and using the dilution method for CYA wasn't accurate. Other than his weekly "CYA is 80-90" suddenly became at least saying it was 100. Still not accurate. To top it off he just cost me a chunk in electricity turning on my pump manually and it ran the entire six hour super high billing period.

As for the CYA, if I ever need to SLAM I'll drain first. We only recently bought the house and they used pucks for many years. With 65 inches of rain a year I'm going to just let it fall now that there are finally no pucks. Barring any emergency need of course.

On the tests, while I am not relying on them, I also have two different brands of test strips that appear in boxes of equipment I have purchased, both of those max out at 10 ppm and both show it maxed, so I trust my 13-14 :) Just confused about how little loss I get. I expected to need my SWG at 100% for 5-6 hours and 50% at 5 hours seems to have it covered, at least until that CYA slowly falls.

Oh, I just re-read my own post and the part about CYA coming down that you were likely asking about.

"What are you doing to reduce the CYA? "

I initially only ran the hose in, then drained it off. Not efficient, but we had company so there was no draining. After Chem Geek clarified I decided to just "let if fall" from here on out unless I need to SLAM for some reason. I filled the pool about 6 inches above normal, twice, and drained it off. Only dropped it from 140 to 130.

It will come down if you work on it. You have to figure ways to get water in the pool that needs to be pumped out. Like you, I bought a house from a puck/shock user. The pool stores around here must have trained your pool guy because all of them said CYA 80, you are fine. When I got my test kit, best I can figure it well north of 200.

I was aggressive with backwashing, did a few partial drain/fills and the most important thing I think I did was harvest rainwater from a roof gutter into the pool. Every time we had a good rain I was pumping out an inch or two.

18 months later I actually had to float some pucks to bring the CYA up some ;)

64 inches of annual rainfall, and no more pucks!!! It should fall :) It was before the pucks were removed, but have already had storms that added a good three inches in a short time I had to drain off.

Fingers crossed I don't need a SLAM until it's lower, but I'm not going to stress on the CYA the former owners accumulated much. Losing only 1 ppm chlorine a day though seemed really odd. Well, roughly 1 ppm anyway.

I presume you are talking about my estimates for chlorine loss in this chart. First off, that assumes full sun, not an enclosure that significantly reduces the amount of sunlight -- probably by half or more. Remember that the human eye is not linear in viewing lightness/brightness and that something that is half as bright visually only has 20% of the actual intensity. So you could easily have your screen cut in half the intensity of sunlight and your eye would only think it's 76% as bright, not 50%.

So your 50% for 5 hours per day is equivalent to 31% for 8 hours and I said that the 20% ontime would be for the daylight hours so I don't think I was that far off. I didn't say the 20% ontime was for 24 hours since the table assumed 8 hours of noontime-equivalent sunlight. If anything, you are running higher than I predicted, not lower, especially given your screen enclosure.

Bah, I thought 20% was total and not within an 8 hour window. I saw the 8 hours mentioned when calculating loss but thought it was just for that. I was just worried something was really off :) Being a little "higher" that you would have expected wouldn't have surprised me since we had kids and a grandkid in it for a week and they just left :(

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.