Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello fellow TFP'ers. :mrgreen:

As you see, I have kept waste busy with the DIY inground pool threads. Thank you for your time and expertice waste!! :wave:

I have narrowed down the place I want to order my pool from but I have to pick a pump and I want a DE filter. The pumps that are listed on the site read as:

HAYWARD
Super Pump
Super II Pump
North Star Pump
Tri Star Pump

I am planning on an 18'x36' pool
a slide
a swim out that is pre plummed with jets
plus 3 returns that come with the pool, I believe.

Can anyone help me pick the right pump? :|

Before settling on the brand of pump, have you decided on the size of pump and features?

Also, do plan on any of the following?

Waterfalls
Spa
Floor Jets or cleaners
Solar System (if so where will it be installed)

Have you thought about two speed or a variable speed pump? The TriStar comes in variable speed but it doesn't have much time tested experience. The Super II and Super come in two speed versions. The Super Pump is probably the least efficient of the three and more suited to smaller pools.

I have a 1 HP Northstar pump and it has been a pretty good performer for me although others have had some problems.

Also, will your builder allow you to go with another manufacture such as Pentair? The Intelliflo pump has a lot of flexibility and very good reviews.

Umm. I'm the builder. :mrgreen:

Okay. So I will have to get more info on the Super II and the NorthStar.

My features will be a cozy cove with 5-6 pre-plumbed jets, a slide and a solar system. The pool will be 4 or more feet from the garage where the solar panels will be <on the garage roof>.

ETA info:
The pool comes with a Hayward 1.5 hp Super Pump, which is said to be all I would need for a slide and a cozy cove. He said I'd get 3 turnovers in 24 hours with it.

A Super Pump would probably work although there are better options from an efficiency point of view. A 20k pool needs only 42 GPM for an 8 hour turnover so almost any pump will do that.

For example, if we look at a typical pool (mine) and compare the performance of several pumps:

1 1/2 HP Super Pump - 75 GPM @ 42 ft of Head & 46 GPM/kWatt

3/4 HP Northstar - 77 GPM @ 43 ft of Head & 61 GPM/kWatt

Intelliflo:

76 GPM (2600 RPM) @ 43 ft of Head & 61 GPM/kWatt
27 GPM (1000 RPM) @ 6.6 ft of Head & 207 GPM/kWatt

So the Northstar is about 30% more efficient than the Super Pump. The Northstar would pay for itself very quickly. The Super II is pretty close to the Northstar in terms of efficiency and comes in a two speed version so you will save much more in energy costs.

If you look at the Intelliflo, it has about the same efficiency as the Northstar for the same flow rate. However, since the Intelliflo is adjustable and most of the time you will not need more than a 12 hour turnover, if you lower the RPM to 1000, the efficiency is over 3x that of the Northstar. This will save you quit a bit in energy costs over the life of the pump.

The other advantage of an Intellifo is for Solar optimization. It allows you to hit the minimum flow rate to keep the panels efficient while still saving energy costs. To me, this is a real plus and one of the reasons my next pump will be a variable speed pump.

Note that if you have to stick with Hayward, the Tri-Star comes in a variable speed option. It is not as efficient as the Intelliflo but it is better than any other Hayward pump.

The Haywards listed in the OP come with the pool kit.

I am sure I could probably buy something else but then I'd be stuck with a pump I don't need cuz it comes with the kit. KWIM?

So. I could get a NorthStar with this kit or....... I could go and buy an Intelliflo.

I was reading your big thread on hydrolics... I don't quite grasp it yet but I don't want a pump that's gonna make my meter spin even if I have to pay more up front and it pays for itself in a year or two.

I'm just getting my kit together and feel I need expertice so I don't shoot myself in the long run.

Thank you for your time mas985! It is very appreciated! 8)

ETA:
Is this the IntelliFlo you are refering to?
http://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/i ... o_pump.htm

ETA Again:
If I buy the IntelliFlo, I'll have to buy the DE filter too. Hmmm. But which one for Effective Filtration Area it gives 35, 47, 58 or 70 sqft. Which one should I buy for an 18'x36' pool?

Thank you for indulging me and answering my questions!

Yes, that page shows both versions of the Intelliflo. The first is variable speed and the second is variable flow. Variable flow is nice so that you can set the flow rate explicitly. With the variable speed, you can only set the speed and have to do the translation to flow rates yourself or get a flow meter.

As far as filters go, I would get the largest your budget would allow. The larger the filter, the less often you will need to clean it. DE filters require addition of DE after every backwash so it is beneficial to reduce the number of backwashes with a larger filter. Minimum I would go with is a 60 sqft and probably lean more to the 72 sqft.

Thank you so much. You have been a great help to me for the last couple days!

Will do! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.