Replace spider gasket... to adhere or not

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
I've determined I have a leak where some water is coming out the waste pipe when in filter mode, and from reading the spider gasket seems most likely. Amazon has a "rebuild" kit for my valve which I'm planning on ordering but I had a question on putting the new seal in.

I've read some indicate that you're supposed to use an adhesive on the bottom of the seal, but apparently some don't advise that.. How do you know?

Also, as I'm in the middle of a SLAM shutting everything down for 24 hours waiting for the glue to dry would probably mess me up.... Question is, can I just lube it up with the silicon o-ring lube and put it in with no adhesive and see if it's OK (at least no worse than current hopefully), and then add adhesive later if needed?

Alternative is I just deal with the leak until SLAM complete and keep adding water (which also probably makes SLAM less efficient since added water is 2ppm FC).

I'm also working on getting a ball valve on the waste line as a backup but wasn't successful yet. I got a valve that I thought didn't need the cement, but apparently I was wrong..

A ball valve on waste is useful when you want to vac to waste and don't like feeling you're in a rush because the water level drops so fast when not restricted. I've replaced a gasket that was super glued before and it was a pain getting the old glu scraped off before putting the new gasket on, but it does dry fast. I prefer 100% silicone caulk to adhere my gasket. If I had to replace a gasket during a SLAM,I would wait until you pass all but the cloudiness test if the only problem noticed with gasket was leaking out the waste, but I would cap it or put a ball valve on waste to stop the leak. The reason I would consider doing it during SLAM is the gasket has obviously been worn so there may be uncertainty over the filter possibly letting some of the water bypass filtration.

I went ahead and did it last night... no adhesive just silicone o-ring lube. Leak appeared to be gone. Will monitor. Old gasket was definitely done for.

20150629_195424.jpg

I replaced my gasket this spring and went with the "I'll glue it later, if necessary" approach. I cleaned the channels in the multi-port valve really well and gave the gasket a nice coating of magic lube. So far so good.

I just replaced mine last night. Used a pea-sized dot of silicone glue at each of the T-intersections. Waited one hour and put it back together. Fixed my problem of DE getting into the pool.

Excellent post. I'm trying mine with no glue (seems like it should be ok - channels are deep and gasket is fully lubed on all sides- so glue probably wouldn't stick anyways). I will try to post with results. If any of the previous could post their success that would be most helpful. Always order your next spider gasket when replacing one so you have it handy for next time. Amazon $6.99 seemed like a steal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.