Apr 28, 2015
porter Tx
**We have and above ground, sand filter, Hayward pump. 15,000 gal. **

Before we went on vacation I shocked our pool. Luckily my tf 100 test kit came in while we were gone! My sil ran our pump every night. Came home, the pool is green. Or readings are 0 cya and 0 fc with the highest rating on the ph. I know we need to get some stabilizer to raise the cya. But I do not understand the chart in pool school on how much shock I need to buy to slam my pool. So if it says 10, is that 10 gallons? Please forgive my ignorance in this I'm still a newbie!!

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.. You need to get your PH in mid 7 range before anything else. Green pool = SLAM per Pool School. Please add a signature line to your profile like mine below detailing all your pool specs and equipment so we can help. Take your CYA level to 30 and SLAM at that level using plain old bleach per the cya'/chlorine chart. PoolMath is your friend.

You need to use Pool Math: http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html Input your volume it will calculate additions for you. Your Now FC is 0. Your target is 10. If I input those values, I get 222 ounces. Which is about 1.75 gallons. See if you can replicate that using Pool Math.

You should get some CYA in your water first, up to 30 ppm, then SLAM at 12 FC.

What test kit are you using? - EDIT: I see the TF-100...

Welcome to TFP!

Youve got the right kit to test. Now you'll need to learn to raise your pool up to "SLAM level" and KEEP it up there for as long as it takes to go from green to clean.
Its a process, not a one time dose.

If you have 30 ppm CYA, your SLAM level (aka shock level) is 12ppm chlorine. The Pool Math app (found in Pool School) will help you keep your pool at 12ppm because once you put that initial dose of bleach in the water, keeping the filter running at all times, you'll wait about an hour and retest your chlorine level. If its down to say 9, you'll enter that number in to the Pool Math app and then input your target goal of 12 and it will tell you how much MORE bleach to add to get it back up to 12.

The algae in your pool is actively reproducing but if you keep your chlorine up to the 12, brushing the pool and running the filter, you'll start killing the algae off faster than it can reproduce. It may take a few days or a week or more....the more often you test and dose with chlorine as it deminishes the faster it will go.

I am new pool owner too and also had 0 for FC and CYA. I did the slam also-it helped so did poolcalculator.com, as well as the experts on this site.
I also found the chlorine dispenser wasn't working properly. You might want to check that also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.