Cantilever Coping Problems and Questions

appstategrad

Jul 12, 2014
Hickory, NC
Moderator if this isn't the appropriate category please move...I wasn't sure where it best fit. :)

I've had issues with the cantilever coping since day one. I should have been more vocal about getting it fixed, especially since it was an additional charge. Had I known, I would have stuck with aluminum but I love how cantilever looks (when it is done properly).

The pool was built in 2014. Large chunks of cement came out at the steps from the beginning. I wish I had taken pictures. When I say chunks I mean pieces up to 2 inches in length and depth. There are pieces of Styrofoam still stuck in the concrete, so if I pick if out there are holes to fill in. I have filled in the "chunks" with liquid cement purchased at Lowes and I think it looks much better. The color matches very well, to my surprise. Now that I've done this, can I expect it to hold for a while? I know the salt will eat away at everything, but just wondering if cement is good enough or once I get a solid foundation with the cement should I try to caulk over it? Or, is this just something I'll be doing every year? Has anyone else had this issue or is it just the way the cement was mixed and poured? (I was at work so I didn't observe the process).

Related question: Do you do anything to protect your cement deck against the effects of the salt? I don't want to make anything slick so I haven't used any sealer.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hello! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about coping problems. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your cantilever coping on such a new pool. Is the cement doing this all over or just in a few areas? Have you talked with your PB about this problem? Even outside of your warranty he may be inclined to fix or help fix if he values his name. If it's doing it all over then i would say that it is the wrong type of cement or it may have gotten too dry and hot(in the truck) when it was poured. If it's only in a few spots that it's doing this then i would say poor mixing at the plant or in the truck or poor trowelling by the cement workers who worked the cement.
I really don't think you will need to seal your cement. Think of the cement on fishing piers that are many decades old and are not sealed facing salt water that has way more salt than your pool. Cement holds up well to salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.