Skimmers and Drains

Apr 3, 2015
Quinlan, tx
I would like to make some adjustments to the powerfulness of the skimming (if it's even possible). I don't feel like our pool skims well from the top. I don't know if it has anything to do with the deepness of our pool so the main drain is 8.5 deep below. I've been a good student of TFPC pool chemistry and have that down so now I'd like to fix a few other things to help out with the general appearance. Is what I'm suggesting even possible?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

I tend to have that issue when the pool is "too full", e.g. after a couple of inches of rain. I tend to keep my water low (lower half of the skimmer) so that I can get as much skimming as I can. If that doesn't work for you, do you have a valve or valves before the pump where you can adjust where to "pull" the water from?

Typically if someone wanted to increase their skimmer strength (for surface water cleaning), they would look to their plumbing controls. Some pools have a 3-way valve on their suction side just before the pump basket that allows them to adjust how much suction they want coming in from either the main drain versus the skimmer(s). If you have such a valve, you could try adjusting that.

I have had that problem since I "inherited" my pool when I bought my house.

Come to find out, one of my two skimmers didn't have a weir (flap), and the other was badly damaged and might as well have not been there. I just replaced them last night, and the skimming action is much, much better.

After you check your 3-way valve, check your weir(s) and make sure they're in place and working as they should.

Prior to purchasing new weirs, I tried a product called the Skim Doctor. It's supposed to create a vortex in your skimmer which improves skimming action. Unfortunately, my skimmer baskets sit so low in the water that I didn't see any benefit from it. I believe the product is a sound design, but it just didn't work for my particular application.

If you try everything that's been suggested so far in this thread and still want/need more skimmer action, PM me your address and I'll gladly ship this Skim Doctor to you, no charge.

You do have the valve. I remember seeing it in your SLAM.

Not Sure Where to Start - Or What We Are Doing Wrong - Page 3
The pic in post 60 with your equipment
The two valves in front of your pump to the right of the motorized valve (that probably switches between spa and pool). My guess is the valve on the right will turn off flow from the bottom drain if you turn it so that the handle points to the left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.