how long to run pool pump?

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
Is there any problem with running a pool pump 24/7?
When I had the pool installed they said run it 8am-8pm.
My problem is that I have a heater pump, which seems to do a lousy job of heating the pool as it is, but even more so when I don't have the pump running at night when the air temperature gets the coolest. (I do have a solar cover BTW).
SO I'd like to just keep the pump running constantly to keep the pool as warm as possible but I want to know if there is any issue in doing this. Does the pump need to 'rest' from time to time?

Jim, while most TFP'ers try to schedule pump run time based on efficiency, electricity usage, and common filtering, every pool is different. I can't speak for the actual service life wear by running the pump all the time, but I can say that contrary to many fellow forum members, mine does run 24/7 as well - on low speed. But the primary reason for me is skimmer filtering - to catch all the bugs that love my water at night. Mine is a 2-speed pump.

Just curious, is yours a multi (or variable) speed pump?

running 24/7 biggest concern is really cost. do you have a 2 speed or variable speed pump? if its a single speed, its gonna get expensive.

is the pump getting hot running 24/7?

I have a SWCG in FL in full sun and I run it 5 hours. basically you only need to run the pool long enough to get it chlorinated, and clean to your liking....but if you need the heater to run longer, then run it longer.

a good compromise would be for you to run your pump at night. most of your heat loss is occurring at night, so running the heater at that time may work well. then let the sun warm it during the day.

I'm a new pool owner and I was asking myself the same question when I stumbled on your post.

I have a 2 speed pump and I've been running it 24/7. I have it on the lowest setting, which is 6 hours on high speed, and 18 hours on low speed.
I've been running it 24/7 since early May without turning on the heater yet (waiting for a deck to get built before using the pool, so no one is swimming in it yet). With just the pump (without the heater) I haven't noticed a significant jump in my electrical bill compared to May 2014 when I didn't own a pool.
I'm sure that will change when I turn on the pool heater 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.