North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I am using the tfp methods for chemistry control. I maintain fc around 7, pH 7.8 and cya is about 30-40. I am using liquid bleach supplemented by a slow feed of chlorine tablets to help bring up my cya. My wife believes that the liquid bleach I am adding is causing her swimsuits to deteriorate. I am wondering if the bleach is really the cause or is there some other factor at play.

That shouldn't be an issue at all. Would she feel better if you used liquid chlorine instead? Or is there really a problem with swimsuit deterioration? You could add salt 1000-2000 ppm and/or 50ppm of borates for better water feel. That might help.

Thousands upon thousands of pools are managed using TFP methods and NOT ONE has reported a faded swimsuit to my knowledge.

Does your wife use Clorox in the laundry? That's about 250-300 ppm with no CYA buffer

Your FC level is higher than usually recommended for your CYA level, but it's not horribly high. As for swimsuits, my wife had degrading swimsuits (elasticity gets shot) every winter season when she used an indoor commercial pool that had 1-2 ppm FC with no CYA. In our own outdoor pool with 3-6 ppm FC with 30-40 ppm CYA, her swimsuits would last for 7 years. So if you really had CYA in your pool, then you should not have seen problems with swimsuits. That said, your active chlorine levels are quite a bit higher than the minimum. Being in Texas, you probably want your CYA to be at least 50 ppm if your pool is exposed to sunlight. A 4 to 7 ppm FC would then work well at that CYA level.

tested today
fc 2
ph 8
cya 40
working on bringing the cya up.
we don't normally use liquid bleach in the wash, and her swimsuit hardly ever gets washed. mostly just air dry after swimming. any ideas on what else may be causing the deterioration?

Ive had my swim trunks for years and they have always looked brand new until this year they started fading some only because this year when I get out I throw them on the porch rail to let them dry and that is where they have stayed this whole season. I know it is the UV rays doing it. Just be wary of the earwigs!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.