Combined chlorine too low

May 15, 2015
Atlanta-GA-
Hi

Just getting started here, I actually entered my pool for the first time today, it was great.
Question about chlorine. I tested with taylor K-2006.
It says my free chlorine is 1.8ppm and my combined chlorine is only 0.4ppm. I use costco clorox tablets. They seem to take time to disolve, I got 2 tablets in the dispenser. Will that combined chlorine level go up eventually? What ppm does combined chlorine has to be?

Thxs

Pat

Ideally you want your CC to be 0.0ppm, but <1.0ppm is good.

What you really need to watch is your FC, and without knowing anything else about your pool I would warn you it is too low at <2ppm.

I see you are using the 25ml sample for a resolution of 0.2ppm. You will be fine using the 10ml sample with a resolution of 0.5ppm, that's close enough for TFPC.

What at is missing here is your CYA level, which is what dictates your FC level.

Please se post a full set of test results for FC, CC, CYA, pH & TA so we can better understand your pool.

Dom

FC is probably low, depending on your CYA level. Set your chlorine level based on CYA level, keep it at target at all times and never let it drop below minimum or algae will grow and the pool will not be properly sanitized. Here is the Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are your target levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

Here are the pool chemicals and how to add them
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

Use http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator to calculate how much to add.

Hey Pat, Welcome to TFP!

Take a look at PoolSchool as soon as you can and begin with the ABCs. Free Chlorine is the one you are concerned with first, as it's the one that does the work. CC is the result of FC getting used up, so as mentioned, you don't want a high level of it. Work your way through Pool School, and ask all the questions you need too here. Enjoy your time on the forum.

Ok here are some pool numbers I just took:

PH 7.0:
-Ph was actually acid but I added 2 lbs of baking soda and it's up. I will add more tomorrow as I think it needs to be higher.

FC: 5.4ppm
-I know it's too high. We use Clorox tablets and we had 2 in the dispenser and it tested at 1.8ppm. So we added 2 tablets for a total of 4 and now it's too high.

CC: 0.4ppm
-This is unchanged since last test. I don't know how to get it to zero.

Cyanuric acid 0ppm
-I have the Clorox stabilizer bottle but I am clueless about how much to add and how much ppm is my goal.
I haven't added any

TA: 170ppm
-Not sure of my goal TA

Thanks

Patrick

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your FC is fine.
pH is a little low. Adjust up to 7.2 is what I have read around here.
Your CYA is low but we are going to target 30 so FC around 4-6 is correct.
For your 3200 gal pool. Using poolmath looking at the CYA line with Now set to 0, Target set to 30. It says 13 ozs of granulated. Put it in an old sock and hang it in front of the return. Give it a squeeze once in a while. Test for it again in a week.

FC and sunlight remove CC. That's all there is to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.