first timer tests

ernie01jt

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Smithton IL
I started this in chemistry 201 but it seems here might be better, these are my numbers, suggestions kindly appreciated
20500 gallon pool, vinyl liner, SWG
PH 7.5
Free Chlorine 7.5
combined .5
TA 80
CYA 30 I have monosodium cyanurate monohydrate 35% given to me by liner installer to use
CH 125
Salt 4000
These are yesterdays numbers. I added 2 inches of water last night so I'm waiting until this evening to retest.

Okay new numbers, used speedstir (way cool!!)
FC 4.0
CC .5
PH 7.5
CYA 30- added one gallon monosodium cyanurate monohydrate 35% pool calculator called for 284 oz to bring it up to 70, will re-check tomorrow
Salt 4600 I don't get that rise, could be better mix using speedstir?
comments appreciated

Hey Ernie, congrats on the new liner!

Numbers look good! Except that salt. How much did you add? It takes salt 24-48 hours for salt to fully dissolve with the pump running. A little brushing helps too. I hate to say it, but the only way to lower salt level is partial drain. I would think you need to get it down at least under 4500. That is what Pentair recommends. Does your SWG have a high limit recommendation?

What is monosodium cyanurate monohydrate? I've never heard of it. CYA is cyanuric acid.

Hi Pooldv, I started out with 14 bags of salt, they were needed to keep the liner in place on the steps as the pool was filling. I figured I would need to drain out a bunch, pool calculator showed as much as 25%, but I was getting low enough that I needed to add to keep the skimmers flowing so that would dilute and lower it some. We got heavy rains last night and this morning its pouring so now it looks like I'll be draining more. I'll post new numbers after the storms pass.

14 bags at 50lbs ea in 20,500 is 4080ppm. Is the SWG on? Is it giving a high salt error? I'm not that familiar with Hayward SWG but you should be able to cycle through the menu and see what salt level it is reading. If the SWG is not reporting a high salt error then I would leave it alone.

Salt tests are +/- 400 ppm.

Pooldv thanks for your advice. The display is showing 3600 on the remote, SWG is on and set at 25%
New numbers this morning after the monsoon like rainstorm are as follows:

PH 7.8 looks to be between 7.5 and 7.8 so I go to higher reading. yes? no?
FC 4.5
CC .5
TA 80
CYA 40
Salt 4000 using Taylor salt water test kit K-1766

Those numbers are great! Leave the salt alone. Call PH 7.6 and a half. If it goes above 7.8 then add some muriatic acid to lower to 7.2-7.4.

Go swimming! :paddle:

- - - Updated - - -

As for the odd salt test results, there could have been some localized high salt areas of salt that had not fully dissolved yet.

Hi folks, new numbers this morning as follows:
Ph 7.8 up 0.15 from Friday
FC 6.0 down 0.5 from Friday
CC 1.0 up 0.5 from Friday
TA 80
CYA 40 I added 1 gallon of Liquid stabilizer after Fridays test and on Saturday CYA was up to 50
I'm wondering/worrying about the CC increase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.