Almost ready to SLAM, some questions

Jun 8, 2015
Lexington, NC
Background - http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...o-absorb-a-lot-of-info-and-get-the-pool-going!

Just as there was a glimmer of hope- http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/98844-Pressure-leak

I now have a plan to resolve the leak, a short term immediate solution as I wait for the proper permanent solution.

My CYA last night was less than 25.. per the Pool School, CYA should be 30-40 for SLAM. I still have some DiChlor Clorox Shock and Trichlor tablets from my pre TFP experiments.. Can I safely use some of this until CYA tests at 35 or so, and then switch over to bleach?

PH was 7.5 last night..

Do I need to test anything else before SLAM to be effective?

Yes you can use the trichlor and dichlor to add some CYA, but I would use PoolMath to calculate how much CYA you are adding to track it and not rely on trying to test it multiple times.

You just want the pH to start in the lower 7s, although the trichlor and dichlor are acidic, you you may be fine to start where you are.

I would use the Dichlor to raise your FC up to shock level, and again use PoolMath to make sure it does not add too much CYA.

Yes you can use the trichlor and dichlor to add some CYA, but I would use PoolMath to calculate how much CYA you are adding to track it and not rely on trying to test it multiple times.

You just want the pH to start in the lower 7s, although the trichlor and dichlor are acidic, you you may be fine to start where you are.

I would use the Dichlor to raise your FC up to shock level, and again use PoolMath to make sure it does not add too much CYA.

Ok so using PoolMath (I had missed the little thing at the bottom to analyze) I should be able to add 5lb of the dichlor shock.

This should raise my CYA by 10 for a total of 33-35, and lower PH by .42 which should keep me above 7. Is that acceptable, or is PH to low then?

When SLAMing is there any benefit to raising FC beyond the recommended amount in the chart, or is that just wasting chlorine?
For instance, the chart shows 12-16 for CYA of 30-40, if I were at FC of 20 or higher would that speed up the process or just throw $ away?

Your Dichlor plan sounds reasonable, although I did not check your numbers. That should get you near shock level FC I think and then you will want to switch to bleach to maintain shock FC level.

We do not recommend taking the FC much above shock level, you will lose more ppm of FC to the sun every day and could damage pool/equip (less likely with a plaster pool though).

OK, so game plan

1)Add adequate Dichlor shock to reach ~12 FC
2) Add DiChlor to maintain ~12FC until I reach ~5lb total used (depending on my starting FC) per Pool Math
3) Maintain 12-15 FC (Shock value a bit higher with added CYA) via liquid bleach until SLAM complete.

I will probably be able to check/add chlorine before leaving for work around 6-630am, when I get home, and perhaps right before bed...

Hopefully I get the leak resolved tonight at least via the bandaid method.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, so game plan

1)Add adequate Dichlor shock to reach ~12 FC
2) Add DiChlor to maintain ~12FC until I reach ~5lb total used (depending on my starting FC) per Pool Math
3) Maintain 12-15 FC (Shock value a bit higher with added CYA) via liquid bleach until SLAM complete.

I will probably be able to check/add chlorine before leaving for work around 6-630am, when I get home, and perhaps right before bed...

Hopefully I get the leak resolved tonight at least via the bandaid method.

Ok, here we go.

0 Hour test results

FC= 6PPM, CC=.5PPM
PH=7.3
CYA~20-23
TA=60

Goal
FC=12+
PH=7.5
CYA=~35
TA=80

Per Pool Math
Add 113oz (volume) of Baking Soda to bring TA to 80 and PH to 7.34
Add 3lb of DiChlor - Raise FC by 6.6 to 12.6, raise CYA by 6 to 29 Lower PH by .25 to 7.13
Add no more than 2 additional lb of DiChlor to maintain FC and bring CYA to ~35, PH may fall to ~7.

Do I need to bring the PH higher before starting SLAM, or worry about it after finishing SLAM? I read it can't be easily measured/controlled during SLAM.
What about TA? Before or after SLAM?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep, you got it. Test and keep it shock level as much as you can. Run the filter 24x7, or at least a lot. Back wash when your filter rises 25% above clean pressure. Make sure to scrub ladders, behind lights, take out cleaner and triple check for algae.

Hi and good job so far!

The cleaner pooldv is talking about it your vacuum or such. Some people leave them in their pools AND they also need to be cleaned to make sure there is nothing hiding in them. Take it out, clean it GOOD and leave it out for a while.

Take a pic every day of your pool so we can watch it clear with you!

Kim

630am FC measured at 9.5
Added 1lb DiChlor (total 3lb added so far, CYA should still be safe)

Dramatic difference in clarity just since last night.

Low OCLT (1ppm) results kind of interesting.. Already meet 2 of the 3 requirements for ending SLAM... BUT I didn't brush it yesterday so I'm not too confident in that OCL.

Well I have 2 "lights" one of which has no lens on it apparently a spa light or something back in there..

The other, how would I remove it? Only accesss would be from inside the pool... it's out of arm's reach from the surface.

good to see you back from vacation and SLAMing! great news on your CYA by the way, really glad you didn't have to drain and refill. you will eventually need to remove those lights, but it can wait till towards the end. once your pool water starts to clear up a bit and your FC drop starts to slow. just jump in the pool with a screwdriver and remove them. your ok to get in the pool when you are at shock level, just don't stay in for very long, shower after you get out, and don't use a brand new swimsuit that could fade a bit.

Yes, there's a silver lining I guess.

First the infamous pool guy said both skimmers and their undground plumbing had to be replaced.. I determined one of the skimmers was just dandy and blocked the other one with a sandwich bag and duck tape, which was effective but ugly and not very reliable, so I repaired that a couple times (which involved adding water each time. Then I finally got myself some pool putty which did a splendid job of fixing the leak on the 2nd skimmer..

I was delighted, then we went on vacation and first day out our pool-watching friend tells me water was 1" below skimmers... she filled it back up, but came back a few hours later and it's down to bottom of skimmer again. so I asked her to just shut off the pump and I'd deal with it when we got home...

Imagine my surprise when I got home and the pool was brimming with water (after a major rainstorm).. I tested the skimmers again and still OK, and pool level doesn't go down... I figure maybe our friend didn't understand something so I fired up the pump... then came out to a low pool just a couple hours later.

At that point I panicked thinking this was pressure line underground (under concrete) plumbing... I was trying to find options for a few days, but imagine my relief when I see a steady stream of water coming out the waste pipe. Easily accessible rubber seals I can deal with!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.