New nickname for my pool - "old ironsides"

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
I've got brown stains at the water line on my fiberglass pool. Municipal water supply. Long story short I got tired of the stains as they seem to get worse over the two years I've owned the pool. Did some research. Tried a tri-chlor tab and had no effect. Tried a magic erase sponge and had no effect. Picked up a bottle of vitamin C and it was like magic. One tablet cleaned a good 3 or 4 feet of the stains away. So, I know its iron stains and need to do the AA method of stain removal. I can't do it this week as my kids are taking swimming lessons in the evenings up until and including Monday of next week. On Saturday, July 4th we are having a pool party. I'm not sure I could do the treatment in time to get the water balanced, clear and ready to party.

So after all that blabbling, here's my questions:
1)Since the stains are only at the water line, should I just put some vitamin C in a sock and clean it off?
2) Any idea how long it would stay clean?
3)Should I then put some metal sequestrant in the water?

After the party I'll do the real ascorbic acid method and determine a more permanent course of action. Thanks for any advice!

Re: New nickname for my pool - "old ironsides"

1) If you were able to remove the stains as easily as it sounded, and they were only at the water line, I would certain give treating the waterline a shot before a full blown AA treatment. And of course work on it from the comfort of being in the water :D

2) Depends, see 3

3) Yes, you would want to use one of the sequestrants listed in http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/137-metals-in-the-water-and-metal-stains to prevent the stains from coming back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.