My first SLAM, a few questions.

May 30, 2015
Southern Illinois
Let me start with giving my starting numbers and what I've done so far.
6-23
FC -7.4
CC .4
CYA-40
TA - 110
PH - 7.4
CH - 60

SLAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM target FC over 16

FC - 5.5
added 2 gallons and 3quarts of bleach
8pm Fc 22.5

6-24
9am FC 14.5
added 1 gallon of bleach (projected fc 19.5 9am)
FC 12pm 12.5
added 1.5 gallons

FC 27 @10:30pm

6-25
FC - 23 7am

FC 16 10:30am (sunny)
CC - 0
added 2 gallons of bleach (projected fc 26)

As you can see, I am raising the FC up pretty high so it can maintain it's minimum level (16) throughout the day, is this safe and ok to do? The problem is I am running out of reagent fast and my replacement won't be here until next week so I can't test every hour. According to today's readings it's losing about 2ppm every hour, is that normal? The water is crystal clear and I see no signs of algae (i had a very mild case to begin with). My other question is what would you recommend raising my cya level to after the SLAM is complete? I am losing massive amounts of chlorine to the sun each day, there is no shade at all on the pool and it gets sun from 10am to about 7pm. Also, if you see anything I should be doing better or different, please advise!

Edit: I have a 1HP 3000GPH sand filter now, I will update my signature when the website works better.

yes, that FC drop is typical early on. it will eventually slow down a bit.

no issue with your FC going to 23, that's fine. don't need to go much longer.

you are keeping track of how much you are adding per day, so just keep using that as a baseline and decrease a little each day. unfortunetly without the test kit, you are probably going to delay the SLAM a bit, but at least you wont lose too much ground.

as far as your CYA goes and not holding FC. you were probably not holding FC because of the algae bloom. after your SLAM you will be able to determine your real FC loss...you might bump it up to 50, but wait a few weeks after your SLAM and see how your pool operates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.