Pool help

Hello everyone I need some help.. I've had our pool now for about 11 years now.. It's a inground pool.... It's 18x36 with 8 ft deep end with a 3 person lagoon that is jetted...for the past 2 years I always seem to loose my free chlorine level in this Tennesse humidity in the summer time.. But always comes back in the fall.. And I fight a small algie problem with my water this year having a little green tint to it.. But that seems to go away when I add bleach.. Btw I'm in total sun from about 9am till 8pm.. As my main chlorine source we us dichlor based pucks.. But I know now how that raises your cya so I've started this year using less and more bleach..

My my reeding are

fc : 1.5
cc : 1
ph : 7.2
ta : 100
cya : 85-90
hardness: 120

i have 1.5 2 speed pump and a sand filter as equipment with a chlorinator for 3 inch hockey pucks

Hi Upsman, welcome. It is true that chlorine usage increases when it is hot so that is understandable. But the use of pucks has already raised your CYA from the optimal 30-40 range to 90, and pucks will not provide enough FC to overcome that level. Your plan of action will likely include draining 1/2 to 2/3 of the pool, likely in stages to prevent damaging the pool. That will reduce your CYA to a more manageable level. That will be followed by a liquid chlorine SLAM process to completely kill all algae. After that the recommended method is to maintain an appropriate FC level in relation to CYA using liquid chlorine only.

Best wishes

p.s. btw it will be helpful for members to know what kind of pool you have e.g. plaster, vinyl, fiberglass etc

how did you get your readings, i.e. which test kit?

I can tell you your FC is WAY too low for your CYA and that's why the algae started. only solution is a SLAM, but that is gonne be tough with that high of a CYA. you need to lower that.

All this assumes your results were done with one of the recommended tests, and not a pool store results and/or test strips.

You should get your CYA down to at the high end of 50ppm. Then SLAM the pool. Check the CYA/FC chart for numbers and use Pool Math for your calculations.

No I have my own test kit... I learned my lesson by taking it to a pool store!!! It's a Taylor k 2006.... But toda when I got home it looked like my pool and not so much crazy!!!! I have read in many forum with a pool like mine u need a cya reading u need to be between 80 & 90 due to heat and humidity and total exposer to sun... I have drained and finally got it under a 100... Which was a defeat with in it self.. But I have learned a lot with shock.. And it's content with trichloroethane trichlor and dichlor.. Will have to change the way I wake up the pool from winter.. Any suggestions there??

- - - Updated - - -

No I have my own test kit... I learned my lesson by taking it to a pool store!!! It's a Taylor k 2006.... But toda when I got home it looked like my pool and not so much crazy!!!! I have read in many forum with a pool like mine u need a cya reading u need to be between 80 & 90 due to heat and humidity and total exposer to sun... I have drained and finally got it under a 100... Which was a defeat with in it self.. But I have learned a lot with shock.. And it's content with trichloroethane trichlor and dichlor.. Will have to change the way I wake up the pool from winter.. Any suggestions there??

Your CYA is way too high IMO. 50-60ppm should be plenty for your location.

Your current FC level is TOO LOW for your current CYA level. It should be around 10ppm, and NEVER BELOW 7-8ppm.

Stop using anything except bleach (liquid chlorine) right now, and with that CYA level, to do a proper slam you are going to need a truckload of bleach to maintain a shock level of 35ppm. If you lower your CYA to 60ppm your shock level drops by a third to 24ppm (now you'll just need a car load LOL), and you will still have the benefits of a strong CYA level.

As as far as opening your pool all you need is a good SLAM using bleach.

Dom

Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock. It must remain above minimum level at all times to keep your pool sanitized and algae free.

Now that the pool has spent some time below minimum you can do an OCLT to see if you have organic material in your pool. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

If it doesn't pass then you can http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.