Anyone in the SW Having Difficulty Holding Chlorine in this Brutal Heat?

asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It's been averaging 110+ the past couple weeks in AZ and my pool can't hold chlorine for more than 2 days. I'm hoping some other folks from AZ or in the SW can give me their experience thus far this summer. I'm literally dumping 5-6 gallons of 10% HASA liquid chlorine every week.

Current reading after pouring 2 gallons in earlier tonight:

CYA: 40-45 (reading taken at approximately 5pm)
FC: 5
PH: 8.0
Alkalinity: 120
CC: 0

I'm confident my FC will drop to 3 within the next 24 hours necessitating more gallons of liquid chlorine. Is this rate of dissipation normal for really hot weather and my size pool? Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

I'm in Georgia and we're having the same problem. It's averaging 97-100 degrees the past several days and I'm having to add a gallon of 8.25 bleach every evening. The pool looks great and the chlorine holds overnight but by 5:00 in the afternoon it's depleted so I'm pretty sure it's the sun and heat.

Its fairly normal for a pool to consume 3-4ppm per day in FC in extremely hot weather like that. So, depending on how many ppm per week is will deteremine the gallsons of chlorine. And with a 28K gallon pool, that might be expected. You can use pool math to figure out the gallonage to ppm and make a determination.

If you bumped up your CYA by 10, it would help a little.

This is why some people in very sunny hot climates target a higher CYA level. As for expecting to lose only 2 ppm FC over 24 hours, that's low, not high. Most pools lose between 2 and 3 ppm FC over 24 hours. Some in hot sunny areas lose more, around 4 ppm, though that can be lessened by having a higher CYA level. Though the normal CYA range in a manually dosed pool goes up to 50 ppm, one can go higher than that (up to 80 ppm) depending on their situation. The only downside to the higher CYA level is if you need to SLAM for any reason it takes more chlorine.

Note that even though you target a proportionally higher FC level at higher CYA levels, you actually lose less absolute FC per 24 hours. This is because of a CYA shielding effect.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is your CYA level? With the 11 ppm FC on the low side your CYA level shouldn't be more than 150 ppm. Is that what it is? So interesting still losing 2-3 daily, but you are in a particularly sunny environment. Also, what is your pH level? There is higher chlorine loss at higher pH.

What is your CYA level? With the 11 ppm FC on the low side your CYA level shouldn't be more than 150 ppm. Is that what it is? So interesting still losing 2-3 daily, but you are in a particularly sunny environment. Also, what is your pH level? There is higher chlorine loss at higher pH.

Hi, not sure if the question is directed to me?

If so, my CYA, best I can guess using a k2006 is 130-160, may even be higher, 2 pools stores say 150-160.....I try to let the chlorine get to 8-9 to check pH, last check was this 24th at 7.2 after adding acid, I try to check it about every 3rd day, then kick up the chlorine to 13 or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.