Sand for ground base advice

May 24, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Landscaper said to get play sand, nursery are telling me to use landscaping sand and most post here mention mason. So i need assurance so i can make sure i get thr right sand. Its been hard to search with the forums down and I need to place the order tomorrow am. Thanks and I appreciate any feedback.

I would not use sand at all. In NC, rock quarries sell "screenings", which is a combination of rock dust and particles up to about 1/4" in diameter. It is better than sand.

If you decide to go with sand, it makes no difference whatsoever which kind you choose

Thanks for your response. I called again since everyone keeps saying to use landscape sand which i didn't know what it meant. They told me its washed concrete sand and recommended for above ground pool. I think it's the same as you described.

looking at the web I found the following.

Concrete sand is and aggregate sand usually composed of either gneiss, trap rock, limestone or granite. Usually it is crushed at the quarry and then washed through a screen to ensure that there are no large pieces of rocks left in it.

It is most commonly used to as a key ingredient in cement or hot asphalt but can also be used as pipe sand or as a base layer and leveling medium for above ground pools, and patios or walkways made of concrete paving stones.

Should do the trick, just watch when your spreading it out that there is no sharp rocks in it. To be safe you should also put a Gorilla pad on top of it, then the pool. Or even better yet, a layer of foam on top, you will pleasantly surprised a to how nice and soft it is on the feet.

Should do the trick, just watch when your spreading it out that there is no sharp rocks in it. To be safe you should also put a Gorilla pad on top of it, then the pool. Or even better yet, a layer of foam on top, you will pleasantly surprised a to how nice and soft it is on the feet.

Thank you. i have a pad already but for safety I want to put a tarp. having a hard time finding one that can fit a 22' pool. can you tape 2 tarps together and then tape it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.