pictures and installing questions of Pentair Deck Jets

May 8, 2007
El Paso, Texas
I am considering installing 2-4 pentair deck jets around my pool deck, I wanted to see some real pictures of the jets in action, all I could find was manufacturer pics.

This was my plan on the plumbing any input would be apprieciated, I have read most of the post on head presure etc. but am somewhat still confused.

Can I simply put a Valve in between my return outlets and the deck jets to control pressure?, I have a 2hp motor with 2 returns, 2 inch plumbing, that are approx 50' from the pump. I estimate that the furthest jet away would 100' and would plumb in up to 4 deck jets in line if my plumbing can handle it, they require 3/4" pvc and require 3-5 gpm/ 4-8 ft of head for 3-7 ft. Should I start out the plumbing for the jets coming from the pump with 1 or 1 1/2" pvc and then drop to 3/4"?

I have really tried to figure the feet of head for my plumbing now but am confused :?

Thanks in advance

Typically you would run 1 1/2" or even 2" pipe from the equipment pad and then tee off 3/4" feeds for each individual jet right near the jet. You want to run a loop of pipe, with all the jets feeding off of the loop, to keep the pressure uniform between the individual jets. The loop just has to be large enough to cover the jets, there can be a single run from the equipment pad.

A valve at the equipment pad would be a great idea and would give you some control over the jet height. You will also want some way to control the flow to the rest of your returns, so if you don't already have a valve controlling each return run then you will want to add that also.

Figuring out total dynamic head can be very tricky. The simplest thing is to measure it using a vacuum gauge and the filter pressure gauge. The other approach is to install a water flow meter. TDH and flow can be calculated from each other if you have the pump curve.

I have the Pentair Deck Jets that have the 5 interchangeable balls, each one provides a different kind of water stream.

Here is a link to the post of my pool build. If you look at the 12:26am post, it shows pics with 2 of the 4 deck jets running.
krusty-s-pool-build-t10072.html

I haven't had much of a chance to use them since I had to close the pool for the winter about a month after it was installed, but when I used them I really liked them. I like the sound that they create and the kids loved playing under the streams. We have settled on the 3 stream jet as our favorite. The balls are easy to change in and out. There is a definite top side and bottom side to the balls, so you have to pay attention when you put them in.

I have a 1hp pump (actually an uprated 1.5hp). I have 2 regular returns, 2 returns in the back of the lounge seat, and 2 sets of 2 deck jets (4 jets total). Each of these runs have a three way valve. So I can isolate each item separately, have all on at once, or any combination of them that I choose. To run both sets of the jets at a decent height, I have to shut down either the regular returns or the lounge seat returns.

The only thing that I would complain about is related to our install and not the jets themselves. We have 2 jets on each side of the pool. However, the west side (farthest run from the pump) just does not get high enough for some reason. If I isolate the east side, they can shoot completely across the pool. If I isolate the west side, at most they can get to the middle of the pool and the pressure gauge on the filter goes up quite a bit. Nothing outlandish, but definitely noticeable. I am going to have the pool builder look at this when they come out to open the pool in the Spring.

Thaks for the replies Jason and Krusty,

I have one valve right now that adjusts the return to either my return eyes (2ea) or water fall or combination of both. I was thinking of putting another valve before the one that is implace now to regulate the flow to the deck jets and the return line. Jason I understand about the loop and equalizing pressure between the deck jets.

After reading Krustys post and looking at his pictures I am willing to go ahead with the project without trying to figure head loss etc. Krusty has a 1.5 hp and with his valve setup has the same plumbing as me, give or take some lenghth to and from the equipment pad, Krusty you also have 4 deck jets as well, so I figure if I plumb up 4 deck jets, and can't get the pressure i need I'll just cap 2 of them off. After seeing your pics, I would have to say the 2 h.p. pump should be able to push water to 4 deckjets 50ft away.

Thanks for the input and the pics

IF the jets are not properly plumbed they will not shoot to equal heights. Often either a manifold arrangement or individual valves for each jet to adjust the flow are needed to get a balanced display. I have Polaris deck jets and had an idiot pool builder (LONG LONG story) and was lucky because Polaris has an adjustable jet tip that incorporates a valve. By replacing the standard tips in my jets ( at my expense of course) I was finally able to get a balanced water display from them. My jets are powered by their own 1 hp pump that also powers my waterfalls, bubblers, and pressure side cleaner, btw.

Thanks for the reply Waterbear, because I am limited on space between the pool deck and my rockwall and the way I want my deck jets, the manifold arrangement is not an option, I plan on using a 3/4" ball valve right before each jet that way I can adjust the pressure, I realize it will be tidius at first to adjust them, but once there set it will be done. I will also look into the Polaris jets as well. This will be a spring project so I have plenty of time to plan everything so I can do it right the first time, kinda like the BBB method :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.