Went on vacation, came back to 0 FC

Sep 26, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After 8 months of successful TFP'ing, I've made my first major mistake!

I've gone on several short vacations and had no issues before. I would bump up the FC with chlorine then put a puck in the floater and all was well.

This time, however, I was going to be gone for 10 days, so I put two pucks in the floater figuring that would be enough. While I was gone, though, Phoenix had 110+ temps pretty much every day, so the floater was completely empty when I got home.

The water was actually nearly clear, but there was a light green haze on the walls which turned the water cloudy when brushed.

After brushing and vacuuming, I decided to start a SLAM tonight. However, after 6 hours, the FC has not dropped at all, so I'm wondering if things might not be quite as bad as I had feared.

Current numbers:

pH - 7.2
FC - 12.0
CC - <0.5
CH - 325
TA - 90
CYA - 30
Temp - 86 (at midnight!)

Can't tell how clear the water is due to night, but will update in the morning.

With the temp expected to be 112 tomorrow, I'm not sure how I'll differentiate between normal FC loss and that due to algae (What is normal chlorine usage at 110+ anyway?)

Just looking for some advice on where I should go from here.

I'd slam a couple of days first and then change course if results don't change. It sounds like your slam will be quick. Just to be sure, did you add an algaecide?

I'd slam a couple of days first and then change course if results don't change. It sounds like your slam will be quick. Just to be sure, did you add an algaecide?

- - - Updated - - -

Stick with liquid chlorine for the slam

- - - Updated - - -

Stick with liquid chlorine for the slam

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.